OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: CVA Optima Pro Pattern  (Read 4368 times)

Offline njdevilsb

• Double Beard
  • New York
CVA Optima Pro Pattern
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
With lead shot, I was only comfortable shooting about 20 yards with the pattern I was getting.  I had talked to CVA about shooting Hevi and how much I could put in the muzzle loader and finally got some good results tonight.  I robbed the shot from a few of my Hevi 13 #7 shells.  Here's my 30 yard pattern with an Indian Creek .660.  

This was my best pattern with it, and my POA and POI now match, so it's ready to hunt.  The temperature was around 53 degrees.

Once the opener finally gets here next Sunday, I'm hoping to let the smoke roll on a big old gobbler.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:12:33 AM by njdevilsb »

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Re: CVA Optima Pro Pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:54:15 AM »
That will kill birds all day. Nice, even pattern too.
Who woulda' thunk it, hevi shot in a ML, that's way too cool man. Great job.
I hope to see a dead bird posted up with that combo. :anim_25:

Offline dpittman

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »
What components are you using. Have you tried buffer. In my TK buffer really improves patterns. Also are using those CVA wads. Try a TPS or other Hevi-shot wad. I would think out of a 660 IC you would get "smokin" patterns.

Offline njdevilsb

• Double Beard
  • New York
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
No buffer right now.  I wouldn't know they first thing about how much to use or anything like that.  CVA told me not to go over 1 1/4 ounce by volume.  I'm currently using the CVA wads which hold exactly 1 1/4 ounce.  It seems like a backwards way of looking at it to me since weight is the usual way to go, but I'm going by what they said since I have very little knowledge on the subject and hopefully they know what they are talking about.  It came out to just under 2oz by weight if I did my math correctly.  I know I need to do some more experimenting over the summer with it, but I'm happy with what I have right now. 

I have heard of better patterns out of the TK2000, so I may just have to purchase another gun.   ;D

Offline njdevilsb

• Double Beard
  • New York
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:28:14 AM »
I got my first bird with this gun this morning.  Here's the story and picture.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,9062.0.html

Online joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:31:12 PM »
Just saw your bird in the other section.  Congrats!