OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Do I sound any better?  (Read 2803 times)

Offline M Sharpe

• Longbeard
Re: Do I sound any better?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »
Ronnie, you are a killer with a  wingbone!! I was thinking the same thing!

Put a lipstop on the call, play it just off center of you lips, and relax. You're not trying to suck skeeters thru it! I don't worry about finger placement such as sticking one in the bell! That's junk! Relax and play it softly, if it will. Most gobbler bones aren't meant to be turkey calls...only a chosen few!! Close your eyes and try to make the sound you want! Takes time and patience to get the acquired sound!! Took me a few years with folks telling me softer...softer...before it really sunk in!!

Mark
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2018, 06:58:23 PM »
Not sure if you are thinking this is a trumpet or if I just don't know enough to understand? (Not sure if you are on a cell phone if you would see the picture)
Yes, I can see it's a wingbone.   What I'm saying is the hole in the first joint may be to big, making it hard to control the air flow and tone.   I know I've played some wingbones with larger internals (bones) and I couldn't get the sound I'm looking for.  Same with some trumpets.   This may not be the case, just a thought.
Oh okay now I understand. I am guessing I would just have to work with it to figure it out?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
Sounds like your improving...Practice..practice..and more practice...I also agree get a lipstop on it..Cadence seems fast on your yelps at times. Less air drawn also maybe..Lip placement?? Maybe also quit thinking so much about what your doing and play it if that makes any sense. Lol...
Set your recorder out and play then listen to yourself and try improving on it. You'll get it..
Thanks, yea cadence is something I need to work with on all my calls before next year.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »
Search Catman Outdoors on you tube. He uses home made wing bones almost exclusively. To me he doesn't sound very good but the turkeys sure do like it. He is probably one of the most committed and successful turkey hunters I know of even though I don't know him personally. He uses his wing bones and kills and misses a lot of turkeys on Public land in middle Tennessee. When I listened to his you tube calling I got better on a trumpet and wing bone I think because I relaxed and realized I did not have to sound perfect. I am still learning both calls and still don't sound very great but I think I could call a turkey with either one.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
Ronnie, you are a killer with a  wingbone!! I was thinking the same thing!

Put a lipstop on the call, play it just off center of you lips, and relax. You're not trying to suck skeeters thru it! I don't worry about finger placement such as sticking one in the bell! That's junk! Relax and play it softly, if it will. Most gobbler bones aren't meant to be turkey calls...only a chosen few!! Close your eyes and try to make the sound you want! Takes time and patience to get the acquired sound!! Took me a few years with folks telling me softer...softer...before it really sunk in!!

Mark
Sorry I missed your reply until now. I do thank you for the advise. I do agree with softer, I seem to be getting better results as I go softer.

John Koenig:

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2018, 05:03:08 PM »
Search Catman Outdoors on you tube. He uses home made wing bones almost exclusively. To me he doesn't sound very good but the turkeys sure do like it. He is probably one of the most committed and successful turkey hunters I know of even though I don't know him personally. He uses his wing bones and kills and misses a lot of turkeys on Public land in middle Tennessee. When I listened to his you tube calling I got better on a trumpet and wing bone I think because I relaxed and realized I did not have to sound perfect. I am still learning both calls and still don't sound very great but I think I could call a turkey with either one.
Thanks, found him with a Google search. I just have a thing for old things and trying to do it the old ways, that is one of the reasons I want to learn wingbone and trumpets. I like scratch boxes quite a but too.

John Koenig: