OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best Type of Lathe for Pots  (Read 2969 times)

Offline buckmark13

Best Type of Lathe for Pots
« on: June 14, 2018, 03:01:06 PM »
I've done a lot of woodworking over the years, including some turning on a lathe. I'm interested in  trying my hand at making some pots and was wondering what everyone uses for a lathe. This would be for individual use only. Any thoughts and advice on sizes, brands, what to look for and what to stay away from would be much appreciated.

Also, what suppliers do you all recommend for the various components needed?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Best Type of Lathe for Pots
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:13:38 PM »
I do not know what I am doing with one but the one thing I have seen posted to this kind of question many times here is to make sure it is a variable speed lathe. Other than that I am a moron with this stuff and some might argue a full time moron.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Maintenancetech

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 06:52:39 PM »
I have a cheap HF lathe and it has done very well for the money. But for a hobby it serves my purpose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:54 PM »
Thanks to Southern_Leo!!!  He send me a PM with some very good info, so I wanted to give him a public thanks. Though he probably cost me some money now

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »
Thanks to Southern_Leo!!!  He send me a PM with some very good info, so I wanted to give him a public thanks. Though he probably cost me some money now
Anytime

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline TurkeyHunterML

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 09:01:39 AM »
I inherited a ShopSmith Mark V from my Father-in-Law. I made a few strikers (looked good sounded awful) and really enjoyed it. I purchased a Nova G3 chuck and now turn pots and better strikers. It works and for free. I do think that even at its slowest speed it is too fast for somethings. I did just buy a Shop Fox W1704 (because this is a hobby - I do sell calls, but I do it for fun) and it was small and inexpensive ($180.00 shipped to my door).

So to answer your question I think any decent lathe will work if limited production. If you are looking to go into big time production I would definitely consider a highly rated variable speed lathe. Get one that meets your size needs. If you are only going to turn pot calls, strikers or small bowls no real need to get a big lathe, but if you plan on turning spindles or big bowls a bigger lathe is nice. Check this out http://woodlathereport.com/best-mini-wood-lathe-reviews/
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 09:17:35 AM »
Thanks turkeyhunter for posting this
Great help , lve  had my HF for 5 yrs. now still works great
The biggest Thing like about the one I have is the varible speed is not adjusted by belt
Just a Turn the dial
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Mad_Baron

• Mad Baron Calls
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
Rikon midi lathe.  70-220VSR I believe.  Variable speed and well made.  Great size for pot, strikers and small turning projects.  Plenty of power for sure.
John Haines

Mad Baron Calls
NWTF Chapter President
NWTF Indiana State Board Member

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 01:06:22 PM »
Ended up getting a Jet JML 1014 off Craigslist this morning. So this starts a new hobby!!

If anyone can post recommendations on chucks, tools, tips and tricks, etc. that you have found to work well I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'll probably start with some basic duck and crow calls and maybe some pens just to get back into the swing of turning again, and then onto pot calls.

I'd also love to hear the advantages and disadvantages of the various chisels that are out there. I've started looking for a set, but there are so many prices at such a wide spectrum it's hard to choose. I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for,  but since I'm just getting back into it I don't want to get too deep.

Thanks in advance for all the input and information!

Offline TurkeyHunterML

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 11:30:31 PM »
I really like my Nova G3
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
When I first started, I didn't have a lathe.  I used a router.   Made a jig, and physically turned the pot in the jig with my hand.  I tweeked and improved it over the years.  Eventually I rebuilt the jig using an Incra router lift.  I found I could accurately increase or decrease measurements by as little as .002.  It worked well, and could mass produce calls.  I shared alot what I designed with Andy Kaiser, because he was looking for something to produce calls faster than a lathe.  He eventually modified my design, and build a jig of his own.  As far as I know, it's what he uses today.  Been awhile since I last talked to him.  But it just goes to show, with some abstract thinking, you can do anything.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:04:40 PM by mastevt »