OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Still strutting in central Florida  (Read 2127 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
Still strutting in central Florida
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »
I was outside of Daytona Beach the other day, and saw a strutter :turkey: following 2 hens in a field next to the highway. That'll get ya fired up and wanting to hit the woods again!! :fud:

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
Re: Still strutting in central Florida
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »
Still at it here in Indiana.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:17 PM »
We got hit with over a foot of rain...right at the very worst time 2-3 weeks back. It was right when the birds generally hatch around my parts in N. Fla.  I hope the eggs were able to hatch and poults made out ok.

Maybe the same happened in further south...and the some birds are trying again..

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:22 PM »
We got hit with over a foot of rain...right at the very worst time 2-3 weeks back. It was right when the birds generally hatch around my parts in N. Fla.  I hope the eggs were able to hatch and poults made out ok.
Maybe the same happened in further south...and the some birds are trying again..
Could be. It's been raining like crazy, almost every day down here.

Offline Wvgobbler

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 05:26:55 PM »
There still gobbling and strutting some here where I live in WV too.

Offline MDSTRUTNRUT

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 05:32:46 PM »
Still struttin here on ES MD, in front of my office everyday just taunting me.

Offline jryser

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 06:33:28 PM »
Heck saw a strutter with 3 hens here in Indiana yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FLGobstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 06:44:08 PM »

Dang what part of N. FL are you in? We've gotten some rain over the past few weeks where I'm at here in Jax but we haven't gotten it that bad.

Looks like ours are doing ok places I've been within 60 miles or so west and south and west of here about 100 miles.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »
Virginia and Mississippi got tons of rain during the hatching period..... I'm sure some didn't make it.... Nature is still working..... ;)

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 07:48:19 PM »
Normally some rain, even a good amount,  won't impact the birds in Fla... they know the drill and where to nest. The issue was this year is we had a week straight of rain during the Memorial day time frame.. what is historically a critical week for our poults.
But everything this spring seemed to be a little late for most the country.. so who knows.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
Drove by a strutter a few days ago in Wisconsin, beeped the horn at em and he hammered back!  Saw a hen in Illinois with 5 poults a little bigger than a quail and able to fly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 08:53:19 PM »
Wife and I were headed fishing and saw 2 hens with about 6-7 poults that we could see, probably a couple more in the bushes.  They were pretty good sized already.  That was last 6/5.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 09:10:12 PM »
I was outside of Daytona Beach the other day, and saw a strutter :turkey: following 2 hens in a field next to the highway. That'll get ya fired up and wanting to hit the woods again!! :fud:
When I lived in Florida, a strutter with two hens could have meant a guy in a speedo with two gals wearing thongs....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2018, 11:28:21 AM »
Just got back from my lease in SC. Got some Plotwatcher pics of 2 hens with poults cruising around a food plot. It was good to see.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »
Just got back from my lease in SC. Got some Plotwatcher pics of 2 hens with poults cruising around a food plot. It was good to see.

:icon_thumright:

My season was terrible.  very little gobbling, very few tracks and I hunted hard-public and private, some days both.  Went several mornings when there were bands of thunderstorms headed my way and hunted until the last possible second, then got out there again as they passed.  Just turrible.  First skunk in a very long time.  Glad to see some young uns around.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.