turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Holmes/Coshocton

Started by rooster, June 14, 2018, 05:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Anyone have experience hunting turkeys in Holmes or Coshocton counties in Ohio? Thinking about giving it a go next spring

West Augusta

I hunt Coshocton county.  Lot's of turkeys.  Woodbury WMA is pretty big.  My sister lives there so I have access to some private land.
I didn't do well there this year as I only got to hunt the last two days of the season.
I't is one of the top counties in the state just behind Tuscarawas county which is just to the east.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Borat

I hunted Woodburry and Tri-valley the first 3 days of this past season.  The amount of pressure was comparable to hunting public in Florida, and the hunter etiquette was non-existent. There's no question there are plenty of turkeys there, but I would advise going elsewhere.  Good luck.

West Augusta

I've hunted Woodbury later in the season and never had any issues but things change.  I typically hunt public ground midweek.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

joey46

100% agree on the midweek.  Hunting any State's public ground on the first week of the season is going to be a circus.  Take advantage of Ohio's full day hunting during the last two weeks of the season and hunt Monday - Friday.  Good luck.

Borat

Quote from: joey46 on June 20, 2018, 07:12:02 AM
Hunting any State's public ground on the first week of the season is going to be a circus. 

That's not accurate.  Ohio is located within driving distance of the Southern states that have been in season for over a month, Northern states that have not yet opened, and two bordering states that are also closed. Ohio is geographically optimal for a turkey hunter convergence, which explained the above average pressure. I expect to encounter hunters on any state public land during an opening week, but this well surpassed those expectation.

Beards n bbq

I hunted both counties along with Knox the past 10 years before moving back to florida, beautiful country and plenty of birds.  State ground never seemed that crowded after the first couple days, lots of mushroom hunters though.  Most of the locals have access to private land and shy away from the wma's.

joey46

The "problem" with resident Ohio turkey hunters has always been that so many have a deer mentality in that they think they must get out opening day or, at very least, opening week.  This crowds the available public land and causes a lot of hunter interference problems.  In the very old days of Ohio turkey hunting you had to apply for and draw a permit to hunt the first week and it was then open to all legal hunters the second week.  Many early Ohio turkey chasers wouldn't even buy a tag unless they drew the first week.  They were sure all the gobblers had been shot by the end of the first period and it wouldn't be worth their time.  I took my first Ohio turkey in the Tar Hollow State Forest on the last Friday of the season (then 2 weeks - never did draw a first week permit) and took my biggest Ohio gobbler during the last week of one of the first four week seasons.  If I'm lucky enough to go "back home" to Ohio in 2019 I'll join a few friends and we'll hunt sometime during the last two weeks.  We'll be hunting public and hunter interference won't be much of a problem unless we hunt a Saturday or Sunday.  We won't.  Good luck.

perrytrails

Quote from: Borat on June 20, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
Quote from: joey46 on June 20, 2018, 07:12:02 AM
Hunting any State's public ground on the first week of the season is going to be a circus. 

That's not accurate.  Ohio is located within driving distance of the Southern states that have been in season for over a month, Northern states that have not yet opened, and two bordering states that are also closed. Ohio is geographically optimal for a turkey hunter convergence, which explained the above average pressure. I expect to encounter hunters on any state public land during an opening week, but this well surpassed those expectation.

Gotta do more homework. I've hunted public here in Ohio my entire life.

We took 8 birds on public in 5 days the first week.

Never ran into another hunter ...

PALongspur

Hunter interference has been a problem, at to a degree, in every state I've hunted. I can't imagine sitting out an entire two weeks of hunting because of it.

I used to spend alot of time in the Coshocton area chasing turkeys and deer. It's an awesome area that I hope to make it back to someday.

Beards n bbq

hope to head back soon for turkey or deer, good people up there and great hunting.  beautiful farm country.

turkeyfoot

We hunted those areas this spring 3rd week and it was about non stop with people hunting

Browning87

I hunted coshocton this past spring and it was loaded up with birds. I hunted private leased land the first half of the week and hit some public on Thursday and Friday and only seen one hunter.

AndyH

I hunted public in Coschoton this spring some and hardly seen anyone. Had great hunts on all but one day. I missed one and called two others in close but with the thick undergrowth never did see them. I agree with what the others have said hunt public during the week and you shouldn't have to worry about others ruining your hunt.

rooster

Here in Michigan ive had more than just a ruined hunt.Ive had shot rained on me from duck hunters,my truck messed with,friends have had tires flattened,radio stolden, tree stands stolden,heard of fist fights,you name it. That and its common knowledge that it gets pounded hard.Hardly worth trying to jump a rabbit after the first  few weeks. This applys to southern ,Mi. The further north you go,the less it gets pounded.