OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hope Winchester Improves on Longbeards

Started by Aurora Wild, June 10, 2018, 10:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora Wild

After trying and patterning a few of the longbeard xrs this year I was really impressed with the numbers that they put up at 40 yards. I'm also a bit concerned about the lack of pattern inside 40. I like em close and shoot more at 25 yards than I do at 40, and let's face it. These longbeard loads can make it pretty easy to miss at close range.  Here is my idea. A Duplex load. What if they did the shot lock treatment to the bottom half of the load, then topped it off with an oz of plain 6s, or even 7 1/2s.  Top half of the load would spread out and give a close range pattern,  bottom half should hold tight for downrange. Any body have any thoughts on this?

10gaugemag

Fullfan

If it concerns you then shoot a diff shell.
Don't gobble at me...

BandedSpur

Not to be negative, but that would kind of defeat the purpose. LBs are long range shells, pure and simple. If you want better close in patterns, you need to use a non shot-locked lead load. And then there are the supposed all range shells like Federal Triple Beard and Third Degree.

Fullfan

Quote from: BandedSpur on June 11, 2018, 08:23:02 AM
Not to be negative, but that would kind of defeat the purpose. LBs are long range shells, pure and simple. If you want better close in patterns, you need to use a non shot-locked lead load. And then there are the supposed all range shells like Federal Triple Beard and Third Degree.

Could you enlighten me as to what is  " long range "
Don't gobble at me...

Aurora Wild

Quote from: Fullfan on June 11, 2018, 08:20:43 AM
If it concerns you then shoot a diff shell.

I'd like to shoot a different shell, the one I described above.
I'm just hoping it comes into existence. ;D

Aurora Wild

Quote from: 10gaugemag on June 10, 2018, 10:35:04 PM
Did you try a more open choke??

I did not.  All of my shooting was with a indian creek .670. I have a factory .675 I could try,  the next construction I can find for the probore is .695,  which may be the ticket.

FL-Boss

I can almost guarantee they will improve on the Longbeards by next spring. It will be have a new catchy name... but with "TSS" at the end.....

sixbird

I like the Longbeards but not because of increased range, which I have no use for, but for increased pattern density at 20-25-30 yds. Are they tight? Yep, just what I like...

Fullfan

Quote from: FL-Boss on June 11, 2018, 10:22:08 PM
I can almost guarantee they will improve on the Longbeards by next spring. It will be have a new catchy name... but with "TSS" at the end.....

I think everyone will make some changes
Don't gobble at me...

ShootingABN!

From what I have read.... The biggest improvement needs to be quality control.... I've heard of a lot of problems this spring...

If you want a 40 and in choke. Look up Sumtoy here on this site. Email or give him a call.

Good luck.

Happy

Try a slightly tighter choke. That seems to open them up a bit.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

owlhoot

Quote from: ShootingABN! on June 12, 2018, 08:46:06 AM
From what I have read.... The biggest improvement needs to be quality control.... I've heard of a lot of problems this spring...

If you want a 40 and in choke. Look up Sumtoy here on this site. Email or give him a call.

Good luck.
Yep they diffidently need to look into those quality issues.

mspaci

ust put an optic on the gun & problem solved, Mike

BandedSpur

Quote from: Fullfan on June 11, 2018, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: BandedSpur on June 11, 2018, 08:23:02 AM

Could you enlighten me as to what is  " long range "

Basically anything beyond 40 yds. IMO, 12 ga LBs are optimized for 40-55 or so yds, depending on shot size. Of course they will work inside 40 yds, but patterns are very snug. Non-shotlocked 12 ga lead loads are optimized from 20-45 yds, and provide much more useful patterns inside 40 yds, again IMO.