OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What's a Bottomland 870 worth?  (Read 5818 times)

Offline turkeyinstrut

Re: What's a Bottomland 870 worth?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 03:10:55 PM »
This is interesting. What constitutes " Old School " when it comes to 870`s ? This season I picked up ( and killed a bird with ) a pre-owned 870 Super Mag SP-T Thumbhole Mossy Oak Obsession, I think, with a red dot. My research seems to indicate that particular model was produced from `05-`07. Would that be " Old School "?  Regardless, it`s a helluva gun. It`s like a steel block, solid, with a tight action.

I have the same gun but with a regular stock and vent rib barrel, I think the "Old School" guns that people are referring to are the 3" guns made in the 90's that had Realtree, Bottomland or Greenleaf camo on them, the 870's and 11-87's of that era are far better quality than the junk that Remington builds today. Anything that has "Special Purpose" on the receiver is in that category and the ones that say "Sportsman" on them are best left alone, JMHO.

Offline turkeyinstrut

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »
I'm tracking what you're saying.. I really wouldn't know the difference if "SP" or Express was not engraved in the side... To each there own. ;)

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=remington%20bottomland

Local gun shop could get these all day long..... Just saying.... No matter what you get good luck to ya. ;)
We are talking Old School Remingtons . Special Purpose guns not the newer Express line. Big difference
Only difference in the original Special Purpose and Express was the SP had a walnut stock and Express were birch. A buddy had a few Expresses in the shop in late '90s that were walnut.

If I am not mistaking the Express were out before the SP line of guns, at least in 870, not sure when walnut stocked SP 11-87 came out. Late 80s-91 or so I am thinking.

The 11-87's were introduced in 1987, hence 11-87 just like Remington's 11-48 was born in 1948.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 06:08:07 PM »
I'm tracking what you're saying.. I really wouldn't know the difference if "SP" or Express was not engraved in the side... To each there own. ;)

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=remington%20bottomland

Local gun shop could get these all day long..... Just saying.... No matter what you get good luck to ya. ;)
We are talking Old School Remingtons . Special Purpose guns not the newer Express line. Big difference
Only difference in the original Special Purpose and Express was the SP had a walnut stock and Express were birch. A buddy had a few Expresses in the shop in late '90s that were walnut.

If I am not mistaking the Express were out before the SP line of guns, at least in 870, not sure when walnut stocked SP 11-87 came out. Late 80s-91 or so I am thinking.

The 11-87's were introduced in 1987, hence 11-87 just like Remington's 11-48 was born in 1948.
I know when the 11-87 came out just wasn't sure if the Special Purpose was introduced in '87 or a year or two later.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
This is interesting. What constitutes " Old School " when it comes to 870`s ? This season I picked up ( and killed a bird with ) a pre-owned 870 Super Mag SP-T Thumbhole Mossy Oak Obsession, I think, with a red dot. My research seems to indicate that particular model was produced from `05-`07. Would that be " Old School "?  Regardless, it`s a helluva gun. It`s like a steel block, solid, with a tight action.

I have the same gun but with a regular stock and vent rib barrel, I think the "Old School" guns that people are referring to are the 3" guns made in the 90's that had Realtree, Bottomland or Greenleaf camo on them, the 870's and 11-87's of that era are far better quality than the junk that Remington builds today. Anything that has "Special Purpose" on the receiver is in that category and the ones that say "Sportsman" on them are best left alone, JMHO.
http://www.shootingtimes.com/remington-history/remington-timeline-1987-remington-model-11-87-autoloading-shotguns/

This should clear up any confusion. as to what people think of the SP series of guns. Looks like you either had a Premier, SP or SPS. Even the camo guns will say Special Purpose on receiver.

I would give a left nut to have one of the first 11-87 Special Purpose guns. They had a damn fine matte finished walnut stock.

Here's another on 870 series of guns. First 870 Special Purpose was in 1985.

https://www.remingtonsociety.org/collecting-870-shotguns/

Remington even had 1100 Special Purpose guns for a short while. Only ran on to 2 of these in shops, should have grabbed the last one a bud had in his shop. Was rather minty and only $350.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 06:40:24 PM by 10gaugemag »

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »

My 870 Super Mag Thumbhole has " Super Magnum " on one side of the receiver and " Special Purpose " on the other. The forearm is a very distinctive, sort of blocky shape that really fills the hand. It weighs a tad over 8 lbs., so pretty substantial. It really feels solid.