OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Old Federal Premium  (Read 4983 times)

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
Old Federal Premium
« on: June 09, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
I found some Federal Premium 3 inch #6 2 ounce loads in a gold and blue box. They don't say Grand Slam and they don't say Triple Plus Wads on the box. I was wondering were these worth buying and are they as good as the ones that said Grand Slam on the box. I have one box of the old Grand Slam 3 inch 6s with the Triple Plus Wads and they are only 1 7/8 ounce loads.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Old Federal Premium
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 04:10:28 PM »
As good as the Grand Slams. I killed a whole slug of turkeys with the 3" 2 oz. #4s and still have about 10-15 of the older Premium loads.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:22:26 PM »
Thanks. I think I may get them. I still shoot lead in my 12 gauges. I will probably like them then have to work to find some more but that is ok. Longbeards shoot good in both my 12s.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Sold out but you get the idea. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/federal-premium-mag-12-gauge-3-1-7-8-oz-shotshells-25-rounds?a=1594532

Buy some of these, same as the Grand Slam loads.

http://www.climags.com/federal-premium-wing-shok-12-ga-3-1-7-8-oz-6-shot-25-rounds-box-ammo/

Budsgunshop.com has them as well.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
Back "in the day" the 2 oz. Federal Premiums were the cat's meow.  They shot very well.  Then...……...if you dumped out the shot, removed the factory buffer and replaced it with BPI Original Design buffer mixed with 5% of a family secret ingredient, you would pick up squarely 15% more pattern density at 40 yards over the factory loading.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline DrDirtNap

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
Back "in the day" the 2 oz. Federal Premiums were the cat's meow.  They shot very well.  Then...……...if you dumped out the shot, removed the factory buffer and replaced it with BPI Original Design buffer mixed with 5% of a family secret ingredient, you would pick up squarely 15% more pattern density at 40 yards over the factory loading.

Buffer mixed with family secret ingredient??...come on now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »

Buffer mixed with family secret ingredient??...come on now

Motor mica

But don't tell anyone...……………  ;)
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.