OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jacob's first  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Gobbler2577

Jacob's first
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
I am not much for posting things, but I love to read other's posts and see pictures.  Today is a bit of a slow day and I have found myself reminiscing about the past season and thought I'd share a bit about Jacob.  He is my only child and his personality and gifts are very different than mine.  He loves music and singing and he is very much a people person.  I prefer quiet places and long to be in the woods.  I also prefer wood to people.  Anyway, I long envisioned a child who would want to do the things I love, but I purposed in my heart never to push those things on Jacob.  If he expressed an interest I would feed that, but also if he showed other interests I would be okay with that as well.  This past fall he shocked us when he wanted to start squirrel hunting.  We went several times and he shot a few squirrels and then he seemed to lose interest.  As February approached he began to talk about turkey hunting, but I suppose I was skeptical.  Turns out he really wanted to go and we made our preparations.  For the first time in several years I had planned to stay in MS this spring and not travel to hunt so I knew I'd have plenty of time to devote to getting him on a bird.  Youth season came and went and we only heard two birds one morning and despite my best efforts they wouldn't play nice.  With school (he was in 4th grade this year) it was difficult to hunt mornings, but we hunted almost every afternoon.   On the 26th of March we were hunting on our place (we've had good hatches the last couple of years and had several adult gobblers and a huge gang of jakes) and after some cold calling we began to hear jakes yelping.  I asked him if he would shoot a Jake or did he want to wait on a longbeard.  He said if it was legal he'd shoot whichever gave him an opportunity.  I began trying to get him situated with his gun and shooting sticks and finally started trying to work the jakes.  As turkeys do, they did their own thing and circled us and slipped in from behind.  I finally saw the 5 over curios fellows and knew we were in trouble.  Jacob's gun, a franchi compact 20, is a bit long and cumbersome for him and I was not sure if he could handle shooting freehand.  I told him to try to take the gun off the shooting sticks and turn almost 180 degrees and be ready.  He did so without any trouble and was actually pretty quiet about it.  He finally was able to see the lead bird and told me he was about to shoot.  I honestly thought I would die sitting right there.  The bird caught a little of Jacobs movement and stood erect and putted, but before he could turn to leave Jacob pulled the trigger.  The woods exploded with turkeys running and flying as his bird was busy doing death cartwheels.  We jumped up to go get him and I noticed Jacob was crying.  I thought maybe the recoil had hurt him but he said "daddy they're tears of joy, I just killed my first turkey!"  I'd be lying if I said I didn't shed a few myself that day.  I don't know if he will ever love hunting as I do, but we will always have that day and the joy of the memories.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Offline Wvgobbler

Re: Jacob's first
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »
And that my friend is what hunting is really about!!!! Getting the young ones involved in this great sport. Congrats to both of you and your little boy that's awesome right there!!!!!

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »
Way to go Jacob! :icon_thumright:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:38:54 PM »
Wonderful story! Congrats
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline cwb04

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 12:52:36 PM »
From one Mississippian to another congrats Brother!!!!  That picture says it all.  A blessed day for certain.  I hope you have many more like that in the future!

Offline shoer2

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 01:57:42 PM »
Congratulations I know you are proud.

Offline Dukejb

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
Awesome! Congrats to you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 07:33:01 PM »
Congrats. Watching your children experience sucess is a memory that lasts forever.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 07:59:40 PM »
Great picture...Thats a great memory that both of you will have forever...I hope you both have many more together..

Offline fishr64

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 09:47:50 PM »
Jacobs smile says it all. Awesome job!!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 09:57:20 PM »
Great story and great picture, congratulations to both of you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2018, 04:04:56 AM »
Very nice. Congrats to the both of you

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
Good job guys

Offline J-Shaped

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »
That's as good as it gets. Congrats to you both!

Online Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2018, 12:37:11 PM »
Great job young man.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.