turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Successful Wisconsin season

Started by The wanderer, June 06, 2018, 03:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The wanderer

Had a short, but great 2018 Wisconsin turkey season. Only had three full days to hunt. Had a couple mornings before work to hunt, but had to be to work by 7. I was able to kill three long beards this season despite the time constraints.

The first bird I killed was near home in SE WI on April 21 (season A).  Was hoping my 4 yr old son would come with, but he said," Dad your gun is too loud. I don't want to go".  Ok. Hopefully, next year. That morning I had two gobbling in different areas, and one hen yelping in another woods near me. I was in the middle of all of them. Good spot to be in. I was able to call the one from 300-400 yds away to me. He came out to the field about 200 yds away, and saw the decoys. He came in on a string to 15 yds, and game over by 6:30. The hen came in right after him. Two year. 10" beard with some stragglers that stretched to 14". 7/8" spurs.

The kids were ecstatic when I got home.

The second bird was on May 11th in SW Wisconsin (season D). Got to the property at 8:30 am. Walked up to a listening/calling spot and two gobbled on their own right off the end of a point that has a grass lane that lead out to a field. I killed a nice one with the same situation two years ago. So I went and got set up against the same tree as two years ago. I called lightly and they were on there way. I couldn't see them until they were only 20 yds away. When I could finally see them I pulled the trigger. 2 year old. 9" beard with 3/4" spurs.

You can see the gnarly tree I was set up against in the background almost straight behind me in the picture.

The third bird was the following day at the same property, same tree. My dad and I had hunted a couple other properties the in the afternoon the day before with no luck. Hunted another property this morning with no luck. I told my dad you pick the next spot. He picked the same spot as the first morning. So away we went. We got up to the listening/calling spot. Didn't hear anything so I let out a few yelps. Then some cutting and yelping. Nothing responded. I went and sat down on a log next to my dad and two Toms gobbled at the bottom of the point from where I had called the two in the day before. This time he agreed to go out front and I'd try and call them to him. So I set him up towards the end of the point at the end of the grass lane. I called as if I was the hen walking away dropping back further and further as I called. I ended up 75 yds behind him at the same tree I was at the day before. I the meantime two more Toms start gobbling. One to our right, and one behind us. I continued to call trying to work the first two birds we struck up. The one behind me gobbled closer on his second gobble. He only gobbled two times before he was ten yds from me. The ridge I was next to was so steep that I couldn't see him, but I could hear him spitting and drumming. I finally saw his fan and the top of his head, but couldn't get a shot. He started walking down the ridge away from me out of sight. Got to about 40 yds out and started clucking. I clicked back a few times, turned, and came right back. 20 yd shot and done.

I don't know how much they weighed as I don't own a scale. I figure the day I buy a scale it will jinx me, and never shoot another turkey again. Lol
I don't post often, but read quite a bit on this forum. I really enjoy it, and am able to learn from you guys. Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Divenut2

Nice!  Congrats on some very nice birds.  It was a heck of a season for me in Door County, was able to tag out with a double.... it was nice for things to fall into place for a change! 

I love the pic of the kids checking out the kill, brings back fond memories of my daughters checking, touching and climbing over deer and gobblers I'd bring home when they were little. Good stuff right there man. Enjoy it, they'll be grown before you know it!

Be well,
Pat
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

oakraidia

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

The wanderer

Congrats Divenut2 on a great season as well. Yeah I love seeing how excited the kids get when I bring home a deer or turkey. They love cutting on them as well. I'll give them plastic butter knives so they do their cutting. Seeing how excited they get is one of the best parts. I was able to take my son out during the last season by Black River Falls. Basically walking around the woods and letting him play with my box call. Nothing too serious, but he got one to gobble. Pretty cool. He's only 4 and his oldest sister is only 3. Both pretty young to understand what's going on. Soon though.

mgm1955

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."