OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Evening gobblers  (Read 2762 times)

Offline JMalin

Re: Evening gobblers
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 06:31:56 PM »
The first forty minutes of the day are worth more than the rest of the day combined.

I’ve killed a couple dozen toms and have yet to get one straight off the limb.

Offline codym

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
Where I hunt I don't get much action in the afternoon. Seems like 11:00 is the deadline. I think it's more to do with how hot it is. I've watched birds behind the house in the afternoon and they just lay around in the shade. They will get up about 30 min before fly up grab a drink then off to bed. I hear far fewer birds in the afternoons down here than I do in the mornings.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 01:07:44 AM »
30 mins before sunrise, to legal sunset in Tennessee. I have killed a bunch in the late afternoon. But usually that means the hunting has been tough, and it takes me that long to kill one.

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 04:51:23 AM »
West Virginia sent me a survey this year and one of the questions was about going to all day hunting. I answered I support it.  In most of the state's I hunt it's a relatively new thing and doesn't go to all day until later in the season but I'm a fan. Have had some great gobbling hunts in the evening.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
The first forty minutes of the day are worth more than the rest of the day combined.

Maybe if you like to hear them, but if lime to kill them, this statement is false

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2018, 02:33:51 PM »
In my experience, Rio hunting can be great in the late afternoon/evening.  Easterns not so much.  But I don't do it much as our local season often brings afternoons nearing 90 degrees and it ain't much fun for me or the birds. ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2018, 08:22:33 PM »

Maybe if you like to hear them, but if lime to kill them, this statement is false

I have killed about half from the roost.  Perhaps I don't have enough experience with the rest of the day.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
I agree with Sil, I loved them off the roost but if he gets by me I also love the second set up, I don't like the evening hunts, I can't hunt from sun up to sun down and I hunt a lot days so its normally until about noon and I am done, I have tried evenings with no success here in MS.

Offline rooster

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »
My experience also.If you've missed the first hour,you've missed about 90% of the day.

Offline Wvgobbler

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:19 PM »
I guess everywhere is different. It really doesn't get hot here where I hunt heck the first 4 days I hunted in 7 inches of snow. Then it got cold the first of May and we had a little snow then. I don't have to many days it gets out of the 60's the whole season here. Maybe that why our turkeys gobble so good in the evening from 3 to 7 some days. 9 to 12 is my best time here where I hunt but evenings could be smoking hot if they would let us hunt all day.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
To be honest I have seen more mid morning than I ever have in the first 45 minutes, though this year was an exception as I had 9 hens and 2 toms come in early though I don't recall the exact time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."