OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Evening gobblers

Started by Wvgobbler, June 05, 2018, 07:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wvgobbler

How many of you guys hunt in the evenings where it's legal too. The reason I ask is here in West Virginia we are not allowed have to be out of the woods by 1pm. I don't know if it's just in the area I hunt but the turkeys here seem to gobble really well between 3:00 and 7:00 on certain days. I've heard them gobble better at that time frame than in the morning on certain days. Just wish we could hunt all day here too. Cause there are days I think you could do extremely well if you could. How many of you guys here them gobble good in the evenings?

wchadw

Quote from: Wvgobbler on June 05, 2018, 07:56:20 PM
How many of you guys hunt in the evenings where it's legal too. The reason I ask is here in West Virginia we are not allowed have to be out of the woods by 1pm. I don't know if it's just in the area I hunt but the turkeys here seem to gobble really well between 3:00 and 7:00 on certain days. I've heard them gobble better at that time frame than in the morning on certain days. Just wish we could hunt all day here too. Cause there are days I think you could do extremely well if you could. How many of you guys here them gobble good in the evenings?
Yes. In MS we can hunt all daylight hours. I don't go at dawn unless I know exactly where they are roosted. Waste of time in my opinion. I usually hit the woods around 9 and hunt til noon. I have killed way more birds during this time than any other since the hens usually leave to lay eggs. I will also hunt 3-dark. Not too much gobbling in afternoon but they will come in to calls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I would actually sleep in in Nebraska if I could sleep, best time is 1-5 typically. But most states I hunt legal time is 1pm.

1iagobblergetter

I have killed alot of them in the evenings.

Divenut2

Yep, lots of pre bedtime gobbling where I huntu in WI.
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Yoder409

Just heard one gobbling tonight about 8:00.    Of course season has been out for a week, but.......
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Rockhound

My 4 birds this year came at 8:30 a.m., 11:55 a.m., 2:27 p.m. and 6 p.m. this is the first year I've really been successful past 11a.m. but I have a strategy now

JonD.

Most years, the best time for me is in the afternoon. Most of the time, not all the time, but most of the time I've found that if one is fired up in the afternoon and gobbling, he can be called in without a lot of effort(as always, it depends on the turkey and what he wants to do LOL) KY put out a turkey hunting survey and one of the questions was about closing hunting hours in the afternoon. I hope they don't.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

JMalin

I've killed slightly more AM than PM birds here in Texas. Probably works out to a 60-40 split.

Gooserbat

I've killed a lot of turkeys after noon, infact E of the five I killed this year were after 2:00 pm
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Hooksfan

It is a hotly debated topic here in Missouri as they are considering extending hunting hours to allow all day hunting....we currently have a 1 PM closure. 
I am in the camp being in favor of all day hunting. There is no biologically sound reasoning  not to do it, but in some areas where hunters see fewer birds than they did in the glory days of the 80's and 90's are not willing to liberalize the season in what they see as a population decline.

Fullfan

In PA the last two weeks of the season we can hunt all day. We have killed some slammers in the evening that we could not in the morning. Most have worked and gobbled great. Just be near where you think they roost and do some calling.

Don't gobble at me...

yelpy

Since PA changed the hunting times for the last 2 weeks of the season I have called up a few an hour before roost time. Mid day and evening hunts can be just as good as in the morning.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Marc

I kill the majority of my birds in the later morning or early afternoon hours...  Especially later in the season.

I have to stop hunting at 5 PM, and wish it was 6:30 PM...  It seems to me that those birds become much more vocal in the evening trying to regroup with any hens that separated from them earlier...

Previous to last year (I believe) we had to stop at 3PM, and last season was the first time I went out for late afternoon shoots...  Both times I went, birds really started getting active just after 5 PM....  Hunting for three hours without a sound in the woods, and at 5:01 hearing three birds sound off is a bit frustrating....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

silvestris

The first forty minutes of the day are worth more than the rest of the day combined.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game