only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kids - how old to take hunting?

Started by wchadw, June 05, 2018, 03:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wchadw on June 05, 2018, 11:20:28 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 05, 2018, 11:15:22 PM
Just one comment, whatever age you decide try to get them hearing protecting that goes off automatically when shot is fired to protect their hearing, their hearing is very fragile when young and it is up to you as a parent to protect it. If you are blind hunting just make sure they are old enough to listen when you tell them to cover their ears. Sorry, I never had any of my own but I am VERY protective of kids. Get them some eye protection as well especially if they will be sitting to the side that the shell ejects on.
Well I wasn't planning on shooting around them until they are older. But yes, I have eyes and ears from range shooting they would wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to hear and sorry if I came off insulting, it was not my intent but you would be surprised how many times I have seen it happen so that is why I said something. I envy you your future adventures with your children, I wish I had my own to have adventures with.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

zelmo1

My oldest and youngest started shooting around 7, pellet guns and then the .22. They went on short hunts as soon as they asked. I let them bring a book or kindle to use until we got action. I found that it really helps with younger kids. Shooting was a step up process letting them request moving up to the next level, when I thought they were ready. Hearing protection at the range was a big deal, My kids are very sensitive to sound so it was a life saver. Keep it fun and we all know our own kids. Don't push them too fast, my oldest daughter begged me to shoot and I knew she wasn't physically ready but my wife talked me into it. She was 12 and a lil peanut. The low brass 20 ga was too much for her and she never wanted to shoot it again. She does shoot some now with her husband, but I feel really bad about my mistake. The younger one is a dam monster and has a cobra in her eyes, lol. No problems there. We saw a pregnant doe during turkey season and she asked why she was so big, I told her she was carrying a fawn and her eyes lit up," Double win" was her reply with a grin. I may have a problem with this one, lol. Have fun with the yungins and let them dictate the time frame as long as you are comfortable with it. Good luck, Al Baker

wvmntnhick

My 7 y/o shoots with me on a somewhat regular basis but I've got to be intelligent about the sound factor. She's not a fan of the "loud" guns but doesn't mind the "quiet" ones. Even with muffs on, she doesn't like the bigger guns. So, we use a suppressor on the rifles we shoot these days. It's made things a whole lot nicer for us in the end. Shot her first deer last fall and we were back in time for me to have it cleaned and still get to work on time. Tried turkey hunting this year but it just didn't pan out. No worries tho. She's ready for fall and she's becoming my favorite hunting buddy really fast.

dublelung

Quote from: Happy on June 05, 2018, 04:51:49 PM
I start them shooting Bb guns and .22's at about 4. Typically they don't start hunting till around 8. My 7 year old runs a .22 bolt action like he has had one for years now.

I agree with Happy! They're never too young to start learning gun safety with bb guns or even toy guns. Around 8 or 9 years old most kids should at least be able to sit in a shooting house while deer hunting or blind while turkey hunting.

My son, daughter, and 3 grand kids have all killed their first deer by age 9. Two of them got their first longbeard at age 9 with no blind.

bigbird

My oldest son had a little trouble after he shot his first deer. It was funny to me at the moment because I have it on video him saying "dad don't be mad at me but I was so excited that when I saw her drop I peed my pants a little bit". Lol. But after we got home he had some issues with why we had to shoot deer for? They don't hurt anyone. Things like that was what I was asked by him. He had just turned 7 and I don't think he was ready to for that kind of experience.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: bigbird on June 06, 2018, 07:33:43 AM
My oldest son had a little trouble after he shot his first deer. It was funny to me at the moment because I have it on video him saying "dad don't be mad at me but I was so excited that when I saw her drop I peed my pants a little bit". Lol. But after we got home he had some issues with why we had to shoot deer for? They don't hurt anyone. Things like that was what I was asked by him. He had just turned 7 and I don't think he was ready to for that kind of experience.
A lot of that comes from the way they are trying to say that animals are equal to humans in such and are banging that into them and vilifying us on T.V. in book and even is school. I remember a friends kid not even wanting to get in the van with us when we (His day, brothers, sisters and myself) went shooting because he was so terrified of guns and he had never even seen one until that day. I am all for teaching them to tell an adult and not touching a gun but man this was just crazy.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Dukejb

My five year old has been asking me to take her hunting. So I promised her that I would take her dove hunting this fall. So far I've bought her a camo shirt and hat, which made her very happy. My plan is to have a cooler full of her drinks and a big bag of snacks to keep her content. She already has ear muffs that she wears when we go see fireworks. Hopefully it will be a good experience for her, and the beginning of a life long passion.

g8rvet

I took both mine first for wood duck hunts.  had a lock on stand out in the swamp and they could perch on it and watch.  The hunt lasts about 20 minutes.  Graduated to duck hunting in the boat.  My son killed his first turkey at 12, but I had just got into it myself, so he did not have many chances before that.  He was a seasoned shotgun shooter at that point with ducks. 

Lots of good advice here, but the one thing I would add is that when you are taking them at a young age, it is all about them.  Their experience is utmost at that age.  Keeping it fun, lots of food and drink and seeing nature through their eyes.  My daughter had too much Disney and showed zero interest in hunting until year before last when out of the blue, at 23 years of age, she said she wanted to turkey hunt! 

Once my son got older, I turned him more loose (not to hunt alone) and hunted the way I wanted to and let him keep up.  By the time he was 13 or 14, very little mollycoddling. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Marc

Quote from: Dukejb on June 06, 2018, 04:39:00 PM
My five year old has been asking me to take her hunting. So I promised her that I would take her dove hunting this fall. So far I've bought her a camo shirt and hat, which made her very happy. My plan is to have a cooler full of her drinks and a big bag of snacks to keep her content. She already has ear muffs that she wears when we go see fireworks. Hopefully it will be a good experience for her, and the beginning of a life long passion.

My kids love dove hunting...

If you go in the morning, make sure they have their own little headlight (or flashlight)...  They love that...

Binoculars are very fun for them.

A BB-gun is a great idea, and admittedly, I shoot the darn thing as much as they do.  I found a small BB-gun with a safety, and we started off shooting cans about 3 feet away...  They have to remember to put the safety on after the shot, and remember to take it off before shooting.

Both of my kids love having the beach/bucket set with the shovels and digging tools...  They will entertain themselves for some time digging and playing in the dirt...

Sitting on my lap and helping me drive down the dirt road, or riding in the back of the pickup is a must for them...

Stopping for food on the way home (pancakes after a morning hunt, and McDonald's after an evening shoot) makes them want to go again as well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dukejb

Quote from: Marc on June 07, 2018, 12:23:35 PM
Quote from: Dukejb on June 06, 2018, 04:39:00 PM

My kids love dove hunting...

If you go in the morning, make sure they have their own little headlight (or flashlight)...  They love that...

Binoculars are very fun for them.

A BB-gun is a great idea, and admittedly, I shoot the darn thing as much as they do.  I found a small BB-gun with a safety, and we started off shooting cans about 3 feet away...  They have to remember to put the safety on after the shot, and remember to take it off before shooting.

Both of my kids love having the beach/bucket set with the shovels and digging tools...  They will entertain themselves for some time digging and playing in the dirt...

Sitting on my lap and helping me drive down the dirt road, or riding in the back of the pickup is a must for them...

Stopping for food on the way home (pancakes after a morning hunt, and McDonald's after an evening shoot) makes them want to go again as well.

Thanks for the input! She has her own headlamp that I'm sure she will take. That reminds me that I need to get her some new binos, the toy ones she has have fallen apart. I hadn't thought about the digging toys or BB gun, but food will certainly be part of it. There's a great little donut shop on the way that sells sprinkle donuts (her favorite).

yelpy

If I was to take them it would be crossbow or nothing. The blast can really scare a young child out of wanting to ever shoot a gun. I personally would start them pulling a trigger now and start the safety training. Any little bit goes a long way. Just keep it fun, quiet and simple. Work your way up to the louder guns.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Wvgobbler

I took my little girl this past year a couple times. Called in a gobbler for my buddy with her at my side and she loved it. She still talks about it and she's only 6 years old. I don't force her to go I wait till she ask's me then I'll take her. So far she loves going. I also took my 3yr old boy in the evening roosting and he got to hear them gobble. He also loved it. I think if I took him on a hunt he wouldn't be able to sit still though. Next couple years I think I'll take him.