turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

FALL TURKEY HUNTING...

Started by quavers59, June 05, 2018, 12:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

How many members here are devoted Fall Turkey Hunters or are thinking about trying it this upcoming Fall??

turkeymanjim

Love to fall hunt. Love all the vocalizations that the birds do at that time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

trkehunr93

Fall hunting is alot of fun, it does however require alot of scouting and woodsmanship especially if your not hunting behind a dog.  Learn what the birds key in on in your area as far as hard mast, beech/acorns and soft mast, wild grapes/dogwood berries and you should be good.  I've seen them in tough years scratch in stands of poplars pecking for the seeds they drop.  Early in October they are still hitting fields going after grasshoppers, etc.  I love hearing a gang flydown in the morning right after daylight, in my opinion the fall equivalent to a gobbler sounding off at daylight in the spring.   

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: turkeymanjim on June 05, 2018, 12:51:03 PM
Love to fall hunt. Love all the vocalizations that the birds do at that time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
x2  :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:

eggshell

I hunt two states in the fall and it rivals spring for me. If you target mature fall gobblers you have a challenge......it's not like hearing one gobble from across a valley or two ridges away. However you might hear that too. One thing about fall gobblers if they are going to come they will be there quick, no screwing around in strut zones. However, they more often than not just ignore you. I will bust flocks some, but I prefer not to and call birds. I am way too old to get a good bust on a flock anymore.  I have hunted with dogs and it's a lot of fun. Usually if I bust a flock I just call them for play.. If I get late season or am out of state I will hunt a hen and poult flock, but at home I concentrate on gobblers. Super jakes are a ball as they are real vocal and are constantly fighting....so fighting purrs, challenge clucks, yelp strings and gobbles get them pretty excited.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I have never fall hunted. This year I'm headed to Kentucky if possible.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

turkeyfoot

turkeyfoot

Some when spring season goes out saying can't wait till next year heck with that I'm ready to chase birds in early Oct no need to wait year

JK Spurs

Love hunting the fall in PA....some of the most memorable hunts I've had was in the fall. Plus you get to sleep in.... doesn't get light until 7  :morning:
I like my turkey well peppered

fallhnt

Fall is my favorite time to turkey hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

donjuan

Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

eddie234

I'm thinking about it. Here in WV we only get like a week depending what county your in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

idratherb

tracker#1

I use to hunt it. Was lot's of fun. Here in western NY region turkeys are in the decline. They shortened the fall season by two weeks which I pushed for and was in favor of. Hoping it rebounds. One DEC wildlife official said, and I quote, "the turkey population will never be again like it was back in the eighties ". I ask, why not ? Why make a statement like that ? The DEC sat back and watched the harvest rate drop like a rock and did nothing since 2002. They have two studies going on in NY, still, and every time I ask them "any results yet ?" I get shrugged shoulders at meetings.... If I did hunt the fall, gobblers only.

Hook hanger

I like the challenge of calling in Tom's in the fall. Hens get a pass even where legal. May have to do a little traveling this fall to a couple new state's.