OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Aftermath of turkey season  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
Aftermath of turkey season
« on: June 04, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
Just a sampling. Smoked 6 turkey breast and tenders today.  Wild cherry at 205 until the internal temp hit 165.  Rubbed with 50/50 dark brown sugar and Headcountry rub.  Inject each with 1.5 oz of olive oil to keep it moist.  Didn't cover during the cook.  Turned out perfect.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Aftermath of turkey season
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
Looks fantastic, can't have it on my diet though :'(
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline MDSTRUTNRUT

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
WOW that looks like  GOOOD!    I have a freezer chocked full of turkey boobs so that needs to be a try for sure.    Hey Goose fyi most of my birds came in to your "DTW"  AWESOME fit for me  THANKS!

Offline chadly

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »
That looks really good.  Did you coat it with oil before the rub? 

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 08:17:36 PM »
That looks really good.  Did you coat it with oil before the rub? Up

No I actually do a double take and wash it one last time and then I set it out to dry on a dish towel for about an hour.  Then I rub and let it set for 8+ hours in the fridge.  Then I like to set it out at room temperature for 1-2 hours.  Because room temperature meat cooks better than cold.  I then place it on the smoker and inject it once it's on the racks.  Saves leaking oil and waisting it. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 09:54:40 PM »
Wow. That looks good.  We had turkey tacos tonight for supper. But after seeing that I got to get a smoker

Offline CDNduckslayer

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 01:00:42 AM »
Looks tasty, def give it a try! Did you brine it at all first?? Directly on rack or in foil pan not covered?? Might give that a go this weekend!

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:42:16 AM »
No brine, directly to the rack.  I've done it in a pan and it works well too.  Just don't cover, the olive oil keeps it moist and the brown sugar added to the rub makes it carmalize an seals it in.
NWTF Booth 1623

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 07:29:47 AM »
I usually do a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving and it is the first to disappear. I never thought of injecting olive oil, might try it. Most of the rest of my routine is similar to yours. Since I skin and the breast are skinless I wrap them in wet cheese cloth and place on the racks. I then baste with melted butter and will spray with broth if the cloth starts to burn. Pretty darn good eatin! I suppose you keep a pan of water in the smoker, I do? The steam helps the smoke to set.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 08:15:18 AM »
I did the brine, rub, wrapped in bacon method and was blown away by how tender it turned out in the smoker but I think I will try the olive oil method
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 02:46:16 PM »
Looks good!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 03:02:59 PM »
I prefer your aftermath, my aftermath consisted of replacing the quarter valve, faucet and garbage disposal under the kitchen sink when I got back! LOL! All seemed to go at the same time.

Enjoy Sam! Looks great.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline CDNduckslayer

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 03:13:55 PM »
Thanks! Going to give this a go for sure!

I’ve got a couple good recipes I’d like to post up with pictures but can’t figure out how to post pics directly off my phone (home comp is down at the moment). If it’s possible could someone please pm me a short tutorial or a link of how it’s done??

Thanks!

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
That looks fine! I'll have to try that recipe on the Bradley Smoker.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 06:18:48 PM »
That looks really good.  Did you coat it with oil before the rub? Up

Because room temperature meat cooks better than cold.
Now there is a man that knows how to smoke! 

Curious how long it took?  Were you burning sticks, chips or lump charcoal with the cherry on top? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.