turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Hunters Blues

Started by Sir-diealot, June 01, 2018, 09:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RailRoader

So NY doesn't have chicken fried steak? It's funny how different parts of the country have different foods.

Sir-diealot

Not anywhere I have ever been here.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCL

I can not imagine not being able to get chicken fried steak. One of the best breakfasts you can eat. The best one I ever ate was at the Big Texan, in Amarillo  Texas.

crow

Quote from: pabossie255 on June 02, 2018, 04:39:35 PM
Hey I never thought I would go crossbow but with the bad back there was no other option and after a while it's not so bad with a good crossbow and I could not see myself not being in the woods during archery season.

I'm in the same boat, went from using a homemade selfbow to an excaliber  crossbow after my back blew apart. It's not the same but it's still great to be able to hunt the rut.

crow

[/quote]I am working on getting stuff put away myself, trying to get some dry boxes to put my strikers in, have wiped the chalk off one box call and put it on the shelf and have to do the other and put the pot calls away. I did not get any pictures this year, kicking myself in the butt for not grabbing the camera out of the truck on opening day, that was by far my best opportunity for pictures. Just ordered Somewhere Along The Way by Andy Johnson and have some other books to read as well.
[/quote]

put the chalk back on that longbox and try to practice several times a week if not daily, work on soft calling for purrs and clucks and soft yelps as quiet as you can make them, I had one of Russels longboxs and there are a lot of turkey in them, somewhere on those rails are quiet little turkey talk

same with your wingbone, put a lanyard on it, wear it and practice daily, just do it for a few minutes at a time thru out the day. once you are getting consistent with it, practice yelps and clucks as quiet as you can make them.

play these calls all year, it takes some of the sting out of the season being over.
both of these types of calls are much more than just loud locator calls, they just take dedicated practice like any musical instrument.

if you get any grief over the noise, just tell whoever it's either this or your taking up the bagpipes.
Do you know why bagpipers walk around while they play?----their trying to get away from the noise.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on June 03, 2018, 08:19:40 AM
I can not imagine not being able to get chicken fried steak. One of the best breakfasts you can eat. The best one I ever ate was at the Big Texan, in Amarillo  Texas.
I grew up very Italian though I am mostly Irish and we had such great Italian deli's where I grew up and always had great Italian sausage and Italian bread but around here you can't get good either and it breaks my heart because it was such a part of growing up and having friends and family over every Sunday for spaghetti or lasagna and there was always Italian sausage and bread involved with both. If we can get a decent enough vehicle I am going to travel the 150 miles to get some of each this winter and some riggolta cheese which is made out of ricotta cheese. My dad made it homemade every year and it was incredible.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: crow on June 03, 2018, 09:37:13 AM

I am working on getting stuff put away myself, trying to get some dry boxes to put my strikers in, have wiped the chalk off one box call and put it on the shelf and have to do the other and put the pot calls away. I did not get any pictures this year, kicking myself in the butt for not grabbing the camera out of the truck on opening day, that was by far my best opportunity for pictures. Just ordered Somewhere Along The Way by Andy Johnson and have some other books to read as well.
[/quote]

put the chalk back on that longbox and try to practice several times a week if not daily, work on soft calling for purrs and clucks and soft yelps as quiet as you can make them, I had one of Russels longboxs and there are a lot of turkey in them, somewhere on those rails are quiet little turkey talk

same with your wingbone, put a lanyard on it, wear it and practice daily, just do it for a few minutes at a time thru out the day. once you are getting consistent with it, practice yelps and clucks as quiet as you can make them.

play these calls all year, it takes some of the sting out of the season being over.
both of these types of calls are much more than just loud locator calls, they just take dedicated practice like any musical instrument.

if you get any grief over the noise, just tell whoever it's either this or your taking up the bagpipes.
Do you know why bagpipers walk around while they play?----their trying to get away from the noise.
[/quote]The wingbone sits next to my recliner because I really need work on that. The GF does not complain to much about the noise but I get the feeling that the dog is less than impressed. I will put the Ninja Hen away and rechalk the Russle Beard then, the Ninja Hen is easy to play right out of the package but the longbox has taken time. I am still not great with it but did get some response to it mostly on opening day, called one back that had gone to another field a few hundred yards away with it, just could not get him to come close enough. I think I heard spitting and drumming behind me one day last week, but and not 100% sure as I have only heard it on video before but it sure did sound like it to me. If I had been in one of my larger blinds I could have turned to see but this one was a chair blind and I could not turn to look behind me. If Nomad still has sale going next month I may try to pick up a vest, I was able to sit on the ground on the last day and did better than 2 years ago where I could not even make it much more than a minute without moving. That or maybe an RNG-300 I think it is called by Knight and Hale I don't know though, depends greatly on funds, vehicle is much more important at this time.

John Koenig:

NCL

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 03, 2018, 09:48:41 AM
I grew up very Italian though I am mostly Irish and we had such great Italian deli's where I grew up and always had great Italian sausage and Italian bread but around here you can't get good either and it breaks my heart because it was such a part of growing up and having friends and family over every Sunday for spaghetti or lasagna and there was always Italian sausage and bread involved with both. If we can get a decent enough vehicle I am going to travel the 150 miles to get some of each this winter and some riggolta cheese which is made out of ricotta cheese. My dad made it homemade every year and it was incredible.

You are making me hungry.......LOL

rooster

I'm right there with ya brother.April,may, October, November.All the rest is just time trying to get through!

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on June 03, 2018, 12:45:08 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 03, 2018, 09:48:41 AM

You are making me hungry.......LOL
Oh then I should tell you about all the Italian cookies every CHRISTmas!

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: rooster on June 03, 2018, 06:57:58 PM
I'm right there with ya brother.April,may, October, November.All the rest is just time trying to get through!
I hear that.

John Koenig:

ShootingABN!

Yes I miss it bad.... This was my first year hunting public in MS. I didn't hear many birds.... Didn't get to work any.... Heart breaking....

Went home to VA. Hunting three days. Heard one the first trip out and he was HOT.... However it was on private land.... Then went with my best friend from high school... We had a good time.

Then I went by myself and missed two birds within 15 minutes of the hunt... Scope mount was stripped and my it was way off.... LOL...

I'm hoping I'll have more luck and get in on some WMA's early draw hunts......

I enjoy this website....

Y'all have fun...

larry9988

Two of my favorite days of the year.... opening day of turkey season and the day it goes out. We have a long spring season in Georgia and by the time it's over, I am pretty much used up. Our season lasts almost two months. Season comes in the first Saturday after March 20 and stays in until May 15, so that's more than 50 days. By May it's hot, the mosquitoes are bad and the snakes are crawling and even worse than that is my wife has had enough of being woken up at five A.M. every morning and is about ready to shoot me by then. I finally stop feeling guilty if I sleep in a morning, or about the work I am missing when season is over. During season it's crazy how a 54 year old man that's hunted over 30 seasons can still get just as excited when a gobblers coming in as he did when he just starting out turkey hunting. I fill the next 310 or so days reading about turkeys, playing calls, making calls, studying maps and scouting for next season. I have found that the best time to check out public land is right after turkey season is over. I can spend days scouting new areas and never see another soul. Most people that turkey hunt will forget all about it until about two weeks before season comes in, but not me. Turkey season is pretty much in at my house 365 days a year, I just don't have to get up as early, or get to carry a gun, but I think about calls or hunting every single day of the year. I know, I'm sick, can't help it and don't apologize for it. Turkeys are my thing, plain and simple. Can't wait till next March when I go out and hear the first gobble of the season, then it's on again......Good Lord willing.

Bolandstrutters

I miss it bad, but part of why I love turkey hunting is the anticipation every spring.  I try to stay as active outside during the winter as possible, but every year you eventually get a mild case of cabin fever.  Day dreaming about spring and all that comes with it is what gets me through those tough days.  I'd hunt turkeys every day if I could, but until then you just gotta grind it out and find other things to keep your mind happy.  Shed hunting, bow hunting, and artifact hunting keep me sane while I pass time until spring. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: ShootingABN! on June 12, 2018, 09:17:23 PM
Yes I miss it bad.... This was my first year hunting public in MS. I didn't hear many birds.... Didn't get to work any.... Heart breaking....

Went home to VA. Hunting three days. Heard one the first trip out and he was HOT.... However it was on private land.... Then went with my best friend from high school... We had a good time.

Then I went by myself and missed two birds within 15 minutes of the hunt... Scope mount was stripped and my it was way off.... LOL...

I'm hoping I'll have more luck and get in on some WMA's early draw hunts......

I enjoy this website....

Y'all have fun...
Always good to spend time with friends hunting for sure. I don't have any that turkey hunt but several that deer hunt. This is an excellent and very informative website. A lot of good people here.

John Koenig: