OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Hunters Blues

Started by Sir-diealot, June 01, 2018, 09:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDSTRUTNRUT

Sir-diealot sounds like you're lucky to be alive and make me realize how much I take for granted everyday.  I miss it too my favorite season but have alot on my plate this year so don't have much time to be depressed.  Wife has some health issues and problems with mobility, I have tentative left shoulder replacement scheduled for August 1.   Oh yea plan on a few crabbing, flounder and cobia trips befor e the CUT plus have to start setting out some cams to see how the horns are growing. 

pabossie255

I miss it already but that's why I hunt goose, ducks, archery for deer, bear season then rifle deer and flintlock keeps me hunt occupied for most of the year.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeyhunter on June 02, 2018, 12:54:48 PM
Not sure if I get depressed but I sure do miss it. The rush and the excitement is just amazing. I love deer hunting but nothing takes the place of walking a gobbler into range with your calls. During the transition time I clean and put away all my gear. Repair anything that needs repaired. Look for any new decoys for next year and look at the pictures and go through each hunt in my mind. Review the pictures I took. Have had a lot to do since the season ended so haven't started fishing yet but that will come soon. I will try the fall season this year as well.
I am working on getting stuff put away myself, trying to get some dry boxes to put my strikers in, have wiped the chalk off one box call and put it on the shelf and have to do the other and put the pot calls away. I did not get any pictures this year, kicking myself in the butt for not grabbing the camera out of the truck on opening day, that was by far my best opportunity for pictures. Just ordered Somewhere Along The Way by Andy Johnson and have some other books to read as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on June 02, 2018, 01:04:06 PM
Part of the enjoyment of turkey season is because it is only a small part of the year. There is plenty to do though in the meantime. For me staying in good shape, working around the house, baseball coaching, football,work and attending my wife and daughters volleyball games will keep me plenty busy. Then November will hit and it will be time to put some deer in the freezer and then new years will hit and it will be time to start gearing up to do it all over again. The whole time turkeys will be on my mind though.
Getting in better shape is on my mind for sure, I have been down to 226 but got back up to 335 after my surgeries and am now dropping again. Deer season will help some, but it is not the same, as you said, turkeys will always be on my mind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: MDSTRUTNRUT on June 02, 2018, 01:25:27 PM

Sir-diealot sounds like you're lucky to be alive and make me realize how much I take for granted everyday.  I miss it too my favorite season but have alot on my plate this year so don't have much time to be depressed.  Wife has some health issues and problems with mobility, I have tentative left shoulder replacement scheduled for August 1.   Oh yea plan on a few crabbing, flounder and cobia trips befor e the CUT plus have to start setting out some cams to see how the horns are growing.
Yes I am very lucky and thank God for giving me a second chance, I would have never found hunting had I died that day. Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues, I used to have to use a power wheelchair but I have got where I walk on my own again, was able to give up the cane in the past year so I feel for anybody I see with those kinds of issues. I have never been on the ocean before, closest I came was Rt. 10 out of Louisiana in a tractor trailer riding with a friend 20 some odd years ago. Crabbing sounds fun.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: pabossie255 on June 02, 2018, 01:41:01 PM
I miss it already but that's why I hunt goose, ducks, archery for deer, bear season then rifle deer and flintlock keeps me hunt occupied for most of the year.
I hope to do some waterfowl hunting this year, never have but have some people online that have offered to take me. Hoping my shoulder will be strong enough to bow hunt this year, had surgery on Jan. 26 and it is coming along but the strength will take time.

John Koenig:

NCL

Like others have said, the season being over does not depress me but I sure do miss it. Already counting the weeks until next year. I do have Fall and Winter steelhead fishing to look forward to and Summer trout fishing. I used to do a lot of pheasant hunting but after my Lab died last year I have just not had the desire to get and train another pup. The interim time does give me plenty of time to practice calling, that is if my wife does not kick me out of the house...LOL

Sir-diealot

Quote from: NCL on June 02, 2018, 02:28:21 PM
Like others have said, the season being over does not depress me but I sure do miss it. Already counting the weeks until next year. I do have Fall and Winter steelhead fishing to look forward to and Summer trout fishing. I used to do a lot of pheasant hunting but after my Lab died last year I have just not had the desire to get and train another pup. The interim time does give me plenty of time to practice calling, that is if my wife does not kick me out of the house...LOL
Sorry to hear about your dog. Mine is not a hunting dog but I do love her dearly and can't imagine life without her. I will be a mess when she finally goes, she is my constant companion. Yes my calling needs lots of work, I am working on a wingbone and intend to get a trumpet as well. Hoping to get some fishing in.

John Koenig:

pabossie255

I bow hunted for 38 years with a vertical bow now after 2 back operations I am forced to hunt with a crossbow but at least I'm still in the woods hunting deer. I just took up waterfoul two years ago always wanted to do it but had no friends who did it then I met a retired game warden said to me get my license and I'm hooked.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: pabossie255 on June 02, 2018, 03:01:17 PM
I bow hunted for 38 years with a vertical bow now after 2 back operations I am forced to hunt with a crossbow but at least I'm still in the woods hunting deer. I just took up waterfoul two years ago always wanted to do it but had no friends who did it then I met a retired game warden said to me get my license and I'm hooked.
I am not in any way anti crossbow, I am just anti ME using a crossbow if that makes any sense. I know where my body is going and I know that someday that may be my only choice, I have just had to many injuries and they will catch me in time. It is something that will be a hard choice for me. That is one of the reasons that if my shoulder is strong enough I want to try some recurve hunting this year if I am accurate enough. If not I have a compound but the weight may be to much for me, it is a 70 lb. bow turned down to 63 lbs. but if recurve winds up being a no I really want to get a 45-55 lbs bow, more than likely 50 # 29" draw.

John Koenig:

Marc

Waterfowl is my passion...  By the end of the season, I am usually looking forward to turkey season...  At the end of turkey season, I am looking forward to fishing or dove hunting, by the end of dove hunting, I am looking forward to duck season, and round and round it goes.

Between seasons, (on the way to go fishing) I will stop and ask permission for places to hunt.  I will likely go out to shoot either pigeons or clays next weekend...  I need to do some serious dog training with my young dog as well...

Honestly, sometimes, the year is not long enough, and they go by so quickly.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

falltoms

I go through the same thing every year also

pabossie255

Hey I never thought I would go crossbow but with the bad back there was no other option and after a while it's not so bad with a good crossbow and I could not see myself not being in the woods during archery season.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Marc on June 02, 2018, 03:57:13 PM
Waterfowl is my passion...  By the end of the season, I am usually looking forward to turkey season...  At the end of turkey season, I am looking forward to fishing or dove hunting, by the end of dove hunting, I am looking forward to duck season, and round and round it goes.

Between seasons, (on the way to go fishing) I will stop and ask permission for places to hunt.  I will likely go out to shoot either pigeons or clays next weekend...  I need to do some serious dog training with my young dog as well...

Honestly, sometimes, the year is not long enough, and they go by so quickly.
As I have told some others I do have the chance to go waterfowl hunting this year IF I can get a vehicle on the road by then. I should be able to, the plan is to get a 2 year vehicle for the GF that we will share, more than likely a minivan as we have both had injuries that make it hard and painful to get in and out of cars and then by next year we will get me a 4x4 of some sort. All I know is it will be MOPAR or no car.

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: pabossie255 on June 02, 2018, 04:39:35 PM
Hey I never thought I would go crossbow but with the bad back there was no other option and after a while it's not so bad with a good crossbow and I could not see myself not being in the woods during archery season.
I may be there one day myself. As it is in NY you have to have special permits and I am not sure you can use them during the early (Fall) Archery season, just the late one I think but don't quote me on that.

John Koenig: