OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Hunters Blues  (Read 4023 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Turkey Hunters Blues
« on: June 01, 2018, 09:51:08 PM »
Man the season has only been over for a day for me and I am feeling incredibly depressed. Can't believe I miss it this much already. I hope the next 11 months zoom past. Anybody else get like this?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline chadly

Re: Turkey Hunters Blues
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 10:16:04 PM »
Nope!  I would never be depresses over turkey season ending.  I love to hunt but life happens.  I missed First, second, and third season without buying  a tag.  Forth came and I barely sneaked out.  Life is good God is Great.  Life is filled with so many wonderful opportunities I cant image being depressed that Turkey season ended.  Move on to the next fun filled thing.  The fish are biting!!

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 10:17:46 PM »
Nope!  I would never be depresses over turkey season ending.  I love to hunt but life happens.  I missed First, second, and third season without buying  a tag.  Forth came and I barely sneaked out.  Life is good God is Great.  Life is filled with so many wonderful opportunities I cant image being depressed that Turkey season ended.  Move on to the next fun filled thing.  The fish are biting!!
  I like fishing, but I LOVE turkey hunting. :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
Feel your pain, but, pulled gator tags and have Dove, Duck, Deer, Quail, and Snipe to make the agony of waiting fly by a little quicker!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »
I like to fish but it has never held the place in my heart that turkey hunting and bow hunting do. That said I may do some fishing this Sunday.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 10:33:41 PM »
Feel your pain, but, pulled gator tags and have Dove, Duck, Deer, Quail, and Snipe to make the agony of waiting fly by a little quicker!
If I can get wheels by this fall I have friends that want to take me waterfowl hunting this year. could not go last year when they invited me due to shoulder surgery. Deer does not start until Oct. but is not the same as turkey hunting. I rode with a friend several years ago in a tractor trailer down South and we stopped at a truck stop so he could sleep overnight. I went into the diner and was sitting there eating my first chicken fried steak (They don't have them here in NY) and a few guys came in and I heard them talking one of them was basically saying he had gotten one and the other guys were giving their reports and it peaked my curiosity as it was the middle of Summer and I could not figure out what would be in season and why would they be hunting them at night? So I walked over and told the guy I had over heard their conversation and was wondering what they were hunting. The one guy looked at the other guy and kinda smiled and said "Come, let me show ya" so we went out back to his pickup truck and he opened it and a big old gator tail came crashing down and scared the crap out of me. lol It was dead but they way they had laid it in there when the tailgate came down it came down with smack. We all got a laugh out of it and I got to see my first gator and check out the scales that are kinda neat. We ended up talking all night until my friend woke up and we left. It is a fun memory. Maybe one day I will hunt them but I don't have the greatest balance on land because of my car accident so I am not so sure I want to be standing on the deck of a boat trying to shove a pole with a bullet in the top of their heads.

John Koenig:

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 05:02:46 AM »
I feel your pain also. I hunt other animals and also fish a little,but nothing takes the place of turkeys. I hunt them in the fall also so i dont have to wait that long to get back after them. Also the older i get it seems like a year goes by faster..

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
I don't really get depressed but I do miss it a lot I don't work during Turkey season and hunt everyday for at least 2 months a year. I'm back working now everyday 12-14 hours a day so I've got plenty to keep me busy. I also use the off season to read everything I can about turkeys, plenty of good books with hunting stories or research about turkey habits etc.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 09:53:42 AM »
I feel your pain also. I hunt other animals and also fish a little,but nothing takes the place of turkeys. I hunt them in the fall also so i dont have to wait that long to get back after them. Also the older i get it seems like a year goes by faster..
I have not fall hunted them, my understanding is you want to break up and flock and then get between them but I have just started walking within the year without a cane so I am not running into any flocks and if I sent my dog after them she would never come back!

John Koenig:

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
I don't really get depressed but I do miss it a lot I don't work during Turkey season and hunt everyday for at least 2 months a year. I'm back working now everyday 12-14 hours a day so I've got plenty to keep me busy. I also use the off season to read everything I can about turkeys, plenty of good books with hunting stories or research about turkey habits etc.
I did pick some books up about turkey and plan to get some more as time goes on.

John Koenig:

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »
My 29th Spring and it was the toughest! Cant count the first 5 turkeyless Springs when I was learning. Not much gobbling on most days  in NY and NJ. Out 32 times. Jetta would not start at 3am of May 27th. Happy the Season was over---burned out ! Managed to take just 1 Gobbler in 32 days on the public lands.           June 2nd now and I am thankfully getting all the sleep I need and into Hiking Mode. I am already thinking about Fall Turkey Season in both NY and NJ. Cant wait for Mid- October!!!

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 12:42:19 PM »
My 29th Spring and it was the toughest! Cant count the first 5 turkeyless Springs when I was learning. Not much gobbling on most days  in NY and NJ. Out 32 times. Jetta would not start at 3am of May 27th. Happy the Season was over---burned out ! Managed to take just 1 Gobbler in 32 days on the public lands.           June 2nd now and I am thankfully getting all the sleep I need and into Hiking Mode. I am already thinking about Fall Turkey Season in both NY and NJ. Cant wait for Mid- October!!!
I know a lot of people were having a hard time in NY this year on both private and public land. I hear you on the sleep, every morning I was able to get out there I was up between 3-3:30 and out the door shortly after so I am catching up on sleep myself. Getting ready to buy a Camelbak so the dog and I can walk longer.

John Koenig:

Offline Turkeyhunter

• As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
Not sure if I get depressed but I sure do miss it. The rush and the excitement is just amazing. I love deer hunting but nothing takes the place of walking a gobbler into range with your calls. During the transition time I clean and put away all my gear. Repair anything that needs repaired. Look for any new decoys for next year and look at the pictures and go through each hunt in my mind. Review the pictures I took. Have had a lot to do since the season ended so haven't started fishing yet but that will come soon. I will try the fall season this year as well.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 01:04:06 PM »
Part of the enjoyment of turkey season is because it is only a small part of the year. There is plenty to do though in the meantime. For me staying in good shape, working around the house, baseball coaching, football,work and attending my wife and daughters volleyball games will keep me plenty busy. Then November will hit and it will be time to put some deer in the freezer and then new years will hit and it will be time to start gearing up to do it all over again. The whole time turkeys will be on my mind though.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline va wingbone

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 01:05:21 PM »
Happens to me every year!
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"