OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lonnie Maybrey  (Read 4688 times)

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Lonnie Maybrey
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 11:42:50 PM »
Simple supply and demand. The market dictates the price and many of these call makers whose product is hard to get can easily draw a premium.

I'd gladly pay double for one of Mr. Mabrys calls rather than have to make that drive. Same goes for a callmaker who has a waitlist a year long. It's worth something to be able to buy the call now rather than waiting.
We all get the "why" behind it, but still doesn't change the fact that if the call maker request his products not be resold for profits then they shouldn't be. It's a respect thing. No one can stop anyone from doing it, but out of respect people shouldn't do it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2018, 09:31:01 AM »
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, for I currently do not own a Mabry pot, but is it an issue of his calls being hard to get, or an issue of how good they are, or a combination of the two. Are these the best pots that can be bought, or do people want them so badly because they are hard to get? I personally do not know, but if they are the best that can be bought, I will load up and drive the four hours to his house and buy one for me and my son. Just wondering.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »
Not trying to ruffle any feathers, for I currently do not own a Mabry pot, but is it an issue of his calls being hard to get, or an issue of how good they are, or a combination of the two. Are these the best pots that can be bought, or do people want them so badly because they are hard to get? I personally do not know, but if they are the best that can be bought, I will load up and drive the four hours to his house and buy one for me and my son. Just wondering.
I don't own any either. From my understanding though they are extremely good calls and he is one of the old school makers still around. Due to his climbing age who knows how much longer he will be making calls.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 04:43:49 PM »
Its a mixture of both. His calls are hard to get because he wont ship them and they are really good calls. Not to mention the fact the detail and work he put into the 2 strikers you get with the $30 you spent on the pot are worth the money themselves.

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
Larry
4 hours!!! Geez you should go tomorrow!! I live in Minnesota and think about  driving there in the winter.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 06:37:18 PM »
Lonnie is who got me "started" a few years back.  Haven't been to visit in a couple years though.  Seen him the last three years at Unicoi. He's only up the road 20 minutes from me and just a few miles to Billy.  I always enjoy talking with him.  He has the right to do his business his own personal way.  If I made a call for $50 and someone sold it for $200 I would be humbled, not upset.  And that's when my prices would begin to increase.  Sure its a hobby but when you sell your items it becomes a "business".  And business is business.  Like Sixes said earlier, I will absolutely not pick up calls for anyone so don't ask.  I will not be part of the problem. 
And for those too far away.....don't forget there are a lot of other great callmakers out there. 
AD
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
Larry
4 hours!!! Geez you should go tomorrow!! I live in Minnesota and think about  driving there in the winter.

I called Mr. Lonnie a couple of weeks ago and he said his inventory wasvery low, to give him a few weeks to turn more pots.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
I think its a good idea he has. Sell 2 calls for what he originally does and charge more for anymore than that. Personally I think he's way undercharging for his pot calls. I don't know what his boxcalls cost.
I also would be humbled with the following he has,but also definitely could see it being a pain in the rear...
It's plain and simple like others have said supply and demand. Some guys are just trying to get gas money back from making a long trip which I don't see anything wrong with and then others are trying to pay for a vacation which in my eyes is wrong.Also then they have to ship,correspond,etc...
I would buy the calls I wanted to keep for myself and then ask him politely if he had a few calls he'd let go for some fans he has on O.G. Pay what he wants,charge a little for your trouble if you feel it necessary(myself I wouldnt,but no problem if guys are fair) and also shipping and post them up...
Lonnie then definitely knows what's going on and some extra money went in his pocket...
I also don't know how someone wouldn't know what's going on when someone buys numerous calls especially the same,but that's beside the point.
Great callmaker..Enjoy his calls even if they all have had to be bought through others... Thankfully everyone has treated me fair in my eyes... :icon_thumright:

Offline KYFrid

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2018, 09:41:20 PM »
Could someone PM me his info. Going to plan a trip down from KY to see him and hit up a Braves game.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk