OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lonnie Maybrey  (Read 4691 times)

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Lonnie Maybrey
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
Them being difficult to get is a large part of what makes them special. When people buy them in bulk and resale them it loses that. Then again I see it being am issue for people in Washington State to make a trip lol. I see both sides

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline pauld

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
He’s a good man and makes a good call. He stays as busy as he’d like too.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 07:40:53 PM »
Could someone pm me Lonnie's phone number. I would like to call him and maybe sway his opinion on shipping. Heck, it would be great just to talk turkey with him.

It would be awesome to be able to call him and order calls from him rather than going on a wild goose chase to find someone willing to sell one.

Thank you

Offline WaddleWhacker

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 08:10:35 PM »
I am very close friend's with Lonnie. I've known him for 20 year's or more and you want talk him into shipping you or anyone else a call.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
I have been  to see Lonnie 4 times over the past 3 years and Lonnie Mabry is 76 or 77 years old, does not use a computer and does not have a smart phone, his only phone is a land line one.

He is not going to ship his calls because he does not want people sending back a call they don't like, he wants you to leave his shop with the call you played and liked, not a call he picked out and sent to you.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
I have been  to see Lonnie 4 times over the past 3 years and Lonnie Mabry is 76 or 77 years old, does not use a computer and does not have a smart phone, his only phone is a land line one.

He is not going to ship his calls because he does not want people sending back a call they don't like, he wants you to leave his shop with the call you played and liked, not a call he picked out and sent to you.
Makes sense

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
Can someone PM me his info please. I just live in TN I'd like to make the trip

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 09:33:51 PM »
I am very close friend's with Lonnie. I've known him for 20 year's or more and you want talk him into shipping you or anyone else a call.

Maybe you took my post wrong. The man makes great calls and so many more people could enjoy his work if he shipped. I didn't want to call him just for my personal gain. I'm happy with the calls i have from him currently.

If he doesn't ship because he wants you to personally pick the call, that makes sense.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
You won't meet a better talker and friendlier guy than Lonnie. He loves to talk turkey and build calls and one of the main reasons that he will not ship is the simple fact that he builds calls as a hobby and not a job nor a part time job. He loves to build calls and talk to hunters and doesn't want to work off a long waiting list and not be able to make enough calls for folks that stop by all the time.

I know it has to suck for everyone that is not close by to him, but these are the rules that he has always went by.

I have mixed views about the reselling of his calls for profit, mainly cause I live close enough that I could buy them all the time to resell to make side money, but I won't do it. I have thought about buying some and putting them up for trade. I would feel as though it would be a fair trade, even though Lonnie only charges 30 dollars a pot with 2 strikers, because it would be a choice for the person trading. I hate to think the reselling is driving the price up for us locals, but that is just my selfishness. He has already went up on his prices over the last couple of years.

Please do not PM asking me to go and buy and ship his calls. I made a post a couple of years back about me living a few miles from Lonnie and going by there and over the next couple of days, I received 15-20 requests wanting me to go and buy calls and ship them and it would not be fair to help out a couple of guys and not the rest nor would it be fair to Lonnie.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 10:36:38 PM »
Sixes, that makes sense. I didn't think of the amount of orders he would get shipping, it would kill the fun of a hobby.

Offline Dukejb

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
I really enjoyed my visit with him last fall and hope to do so again soon. My walnut slate from him got me my first turkey. The fact that he and Billy Buice only live about an hour away from my in laws makes me much more agreeable about going to visit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pooh4459

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »
Im glad hes addressing this but wish he could find a better way of doing it then punishing everybody.  I had a buddy finally get over to lonnies for the 1st time a few months ago and a guy on here happened to go 2 days before and buy up a bunch of his calls and post them for sale on here for double what they cost. So when we he got there for probably his only time he will ever get to go he was limited on his supply. I hope he gets it stopped. I mean it should be obvious whos doing it guys who come several times over a few years and spend 600 to $1000 every trip buying the same items over. Well of course there not keeping them all.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »
It would really be sad if such a well renowned call maker ended his career based on others making a profit  on his calls. I understand that you would want to recoup what it cost you to get there and everything but to double your money on a call maker who is still making calls is disgraceful. I don't mean just Lonnie either, I see it going on with Platz, Corder, Watkins, Mann, Williams and Cox. If it doesn't apply, don't get offended. We need to remember that these callmakers are treasures, we should show them that they are cherished and not just dollar signs. These guys are special and should be treated as such!
I agree. I can honestly say I wouldn't want my calls resold for huge profits either. Yes it is the customers to do what they wish with it, but at the same time it is disrespectful to the makers. Especially if they have made it known they don't want that occurring with their calls. People complain about availability, but then complain also when call makers raise their prices because of this stuff. I also agree it's fine to resell like $10 over what you paid to cover shipping and such, but some of these resells are getting extreme.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 07:16:45 PM »
There's one thing I don't understand  , profit  ,
Iv seen a lot of calls go for $$$$ more than what one paid for and pocket a profit
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline crenshawco

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 09:49:36 PM »
Simple supply and demand. The market dictates the price and many of these call makers whose product is hard to get can easily draw a premium.

I'd gladly pay double for one of Mr. Mabrys calls rather than have to make that drive. Same goes for a callmaker who has a waitlist a year long. It's worth something to be able to buy the call now rather than waiting.