OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS loads  (Read 4473 times)

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
TSS loads
« on: May 29, 2018, 01:51:57 PM »
Can anyone give me a good opinion on Nitro loads? I've been seeing some bad posts about Apex and before I sink any money in these bad boys I was wondering what your experience was with whatever kind you shoot? I'm going to be using my SX3 20 ga. with a 26" barrel. I have a Sumtoy .562 and am waiting for a Carlson 575 to show up. Also what are the pros and cons of TSS? Other than cost as con what are any others that I might not be seeing? Thanks

Offline mrclif

Re: TSS loads
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:55:29 PM »
If I didn't load my own I'd run apex or federal. Too many bad personal experiences with nitros. I did use some of apexs waterfowl loads and their customer service and product was flawless.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
I have seen them as well,  and personally I wouldn't risk safety when it comes to ammo. After all we are talking about a controlled explosion 2 inches from your face.
I can't see Nitro .. or any of these other backyard garage ammo companies having near the QC in place as Federal, Winchester, etc.

Oh and a little secret.. Rogers has had 20GA TSS #9 back in stock for a week now... let the party begin. https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/federal-premium-heavyweight-tss-turkey-loads-20-gauge-3-1-1-2oz-1000fps.html

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:18:49 PM »
Have used Apex in a 870 zero issues, Nitro hw in a 870 for over 10 years , again zero issues.

Offline jryser

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 07:21:33 PM »
Apex has been top notch for me. I just started loading my own simply because it was a natural progression for me. But I killed a great tom with The Hunting Public with Apex 16 gauge TSS that was amazing. Give em a try!!  Now I’ll be doing my own this year!!

https://youtu.be/gweMpcz9nik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »
Apex has been top notch for me. I just started loading my own simply because it was a natural progression for me. But I killed a great tom with The Hunting Public with Apex 16 gauge TSS that was amazing. Give em a try!!  Now I’ll be doing my own this year!!

Is the whole hunting public crew running apex? They've been smacking birds over with those 20s and have made no mention of what shells they are running

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline jryser

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:10:26 PM »

Is the whole hunting public crew running apex? They've been smacking birds over with those 20s and have made no mention of what shells they are running

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Actually Zach uses lead shot - until next year when he will use my handloads!! 

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
What load/recipe did ya smoke your Indiana bird with? That guy was a mess

Offline DrDirtNap

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 06:23:53 PM »

Enjoyed your video.  I’ve been hand loading Hal’s recipes for several years myself.  I noticed you are using a different type of buffer than what Hal has recommended to me.    Wonder if it makes a difference?   

Offline jryser

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:07:25 PM »
What load/recipe did ya smoke your Indiana bird with? That guy was a mess
That was Apex - and I have the new load from Hal that is even better at least in that gun!!!

Offline jryser

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:10:41 PM »

Enjoyed your video.  I’ve been hand loading Hal’s recipes for several years myself.  I noticed you are using a different type of buffer than what Hal has recommended to me.    Wonder if it makes a difference?   

Thanks for the video feedback. I asked Hal to make sure it was worthy before posting since he’s been my main inspiration. He loves it so it’s out there now. I will send u a PM on the buffer I use.

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 09:54:29 PM »
I plan on ordering some Apex #8s in both 16 and 20 ga here soon.Using #8 because im in NY. I just got an 870 express youth 16 ga and have a Trulock EF choke on the way for it. Apex picked up the phone and gave me great C.S. when i called a few weeks ago. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to try the Federal TSS if you can find them. Both chokes you have should be great with TSS. Only cons i can think of is cost and availability