OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: behavior  (Read 1053 times)

Offline longspur

• Longbeard
behavior
« on: April 23, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »
Just wanted to share what I saw a couple of toms do that may be helpfull. I'll try to keep it short. slipped in to a place I heard some toms the morning before. It was thick. I had one shooting lane about 15tds wide and 30yds long in front of me and a brush pile behind me that seperated me from a pasture. The birds fired off a long way in the distance. I did one flydown cackle and they started comming hard. One ended up on my left and one on my right. Gobbled ther heads off for about 30 min. going back and forth sorta behind me and then in front but never in the shooting lane and never getting close together. they were well within shooting distance but I couldn't see eather of them. Finally the one on the right clucked twice then the other clucked twice and never made another sound. I didn't move and they couldn't have saw me if I did. Tried some soft clucks and a purr but nothing. peeped around the tree through the brush and there they were about 30yds in the pasture feeding side by side. If I call softly they would look but never gobble or strut. Only thing I could figure is they were rivals while gobbling and kept there didtance from each other, then said with there clucks, game over lets go eat. By the way, I had on a plastic rain coat and couldn't make a move.