OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tss 8s in 20 ga?

Started by PineyRooster, May 27, 2018, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineyRooster

I'm interested in seeing some pattern pics or hearing about gun/choke combo with tss 8s in 20 ga. I know the 9s are more popular but I like the 8s. thinking about setting up a 20 here in the off season and would like to see whats out there and what those tss 8s look like out of a 20 ga.

10gaugemag

kwild835

I shot the 8's in a 1 5/8oz load.  It did like 230 in 10"  and 150 in the 10"-20" circle.  9's have lethal energy waaaaaay past what we can talk about here and you get 180 more pellets to fill your pattern with.  That's why a majority of guys shoot the 9's unless there are state shot size restriction.  There is no advantage to shooting 8's in any turkey hunting scenario I can think of.

CrustyRusty

Still very good numbers, I would be happy with that, especially since where I live(NY) we are restricted to 8's.

Quote from: kwild835 on May 28, 2018, 12:02:26 AM
I shot the 8's in a 1 5/8oz load.  It did like 230 in 10"  and 150 in the 10"-20" circle.  9's have lethal energy waaaaaay past what we can talk about here and you get 180 more pellets to fill your pattern with.  That's why a majority of guys shoot the 9's unless there are state shot size restriction.  There is no advantage to shooting 8's in any turkey hunting scenario I can think of.

PineyRooster

Quote from: kwild835 on May 28, 2018, 12:02:26 AM
[/quote

Thats a great pattern i woukd be more than satisfied with that.. i hunt some thick pine woods in the south so i prefer the 8s for that reason. More of a personal preference than a necessity i suppose. It just gives me more comfidence if i have to shoot through a little underbrush.

WV Ridge Reaper

I like 8s my self 9s will hit a turkey hard but I like seeing them get lifted off there feet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10gaugemag

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 28, 2018, 10:45:52 PM
I like 8s my self 9s will hit a turkey hard but I like seeing them get lifted off there feet

I am pretty sure that will work just fine.

TauntoHawk

That's about what Im hope to get 200+ in 10 same in 20 with 8s as I'll have to load them or 8s and 9s with hunting in NY each year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PineyRooster

what choke?

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: PineyRooster on May 29, 2018, 12:20:07 AM

what choke?
That was shot with a IC 555