turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

??The Perfect Turkey Vest??

Started by turkeykiller22, May 27, 2018, 10:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

I have never owned a vest because quite frankly I was to fat to find one to fit but I have lost over 200 lbs. and now I am debating weather I want to get a vest or a hip sack with hydration unit that was designed for turkey hunting. My backpack has started to have all the buckles break so I used a hip sack this year but was not satisfied with all I could bring and had to leave some stuff I wanted behind. The backpack had loops meant for shotgun shells but they doubled great for holding strikers and I never had any problems with it. The only problem I ever did have is now I carry a chair blind around and it is hard to carry a backpack/hip sack and a blind at the same time and that is why I am thinking of getting a vest. I want to be able to carry my longbox and box call and could do that with a backpack but not with the hip sack.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Fullfan

It was called the Super Elite 3. No clue why they stopped making them .
Don't gobble at me...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 27, 2018, 08:09:45 PM
My personal evolution has brought me to the Alps little bear fanny pack / with turkey call front pouches. Most comfortable I have used. With the fanny pack belt & shoulder harness, it distributes weight - no heavy shoulders.

Using a chair, I no longer need or carry a cushion. I take off the Alps when I set up, and this has been an unbelievable comfort saver. I place it next to me, calls at the ready, but no "bulk" on my body as I sit. I can sit comfortably for hours like this. All morning, if necessary.

Might not be for everyone, but I love it. I'll never go back to a traditional vest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stXNJegwaS0
Would there be room for a long box and a box call? The long box is just over a foot long and box call is 9 inches long. Both are about 2 inches wide. Thanks for the help.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

NCL

I have two vests, the first is the ALPS Grand Slam which is great for when you are on the move because you can set up anywhere. The down side is it is a little heavy. The other is Ol Toms Time and Motion vest which is much lighter and what I use if I am not moving. I usually have both vests with me and they are both set up to go depending on the circumstances.

SKFOOTER

Another vote for the Tenzing TV18 vest.  I used it for the first time this season and absolutely loved it.  I also removed the seat cushion as I carry a turkey lounger seat.

cwb04

Used a Super Elite for years and had no complaints at all.  Mine had the zip out sleeves which were great when hunting the Midwest and Dakotas.  It had been patched and sown up several times over the years and last season several of the zippers began to fail so I go a new vest for this past season.  I opted for the Alps Grand Slam (especially since I had a gift card that covered the cost).  Absolutely love this vest.  For hunting here in the South I take the metal frame out and when I go up to KS or NE I put it back in.  Has a place for everything I need.  Great vest!

Cut N Run

I'm pretty partial to the Limbhanger vest, which is based on the Dixon vest.  Like 1iagobblergetter said; if I knew it was going to be discontinued, I would have bought a few.

That Limbhanger vest hasn't needed many modifications, though the seat pad is pretty compressed after 10 years and I'll likely have a zipper added so the foam cushion can be easily replaced.  It has enough storage without being overburdened by too many pockets.  I don't care for the diaphragm call storage at all.  It tends to crimp the tape around the frame, which doesn't straighten out quickly & can affect call performance.  I bought one of those change purse storage deals from Tommy Walton at Tom Teasers and have been quite satisfied with it.  The magnets on the striker pockets are kind of weak, though I haven't lost any strikers that wasn't my fault for leaving them behind, or jumping up to run ahead of a turkey.

I got a Nomad vest this year that I haven't hunted yet. The zippers appear to be lightly constructed and likely won't hold up to much serious use, but they're easy enough to have replaced. I also prefer to have built in shell loops inside a pocket, because i don't like loose ammo clicking & clanking around against other things in my pockets.

I haven't tried all that many different vests recently, but I was disappointed with the Ol' Tom I-Beam.  The seat magnets wouldn't hold the seat in place and the slightest brush against a limb or tree would deploy it. Got too annoying too fast. The box call pockets were horizontal and when I leaned forward my box calls would slide out. I returned it after one day.  Too much going wrong to spend that kind of money on and not get what I was hoping for.  Maybe they have the bugs worked out by now,  I'll never know because I'll be leaving that one alone.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Tail Feathers

I've seen a unicorn.  I once had my hands on a Leprechaun but he got loose.

But I've never seen the perfect turkey vest. :TooFunny:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

kjnengr

For those of you attaching a box call separately to a pack, which one box call "pouch" are you using?  What are your thoughts on the one you have?

bobk

I use a leather Albert Paul holster. It works fine for carrying a Paddle call. I attach it to a D-ring on my Limbhanger vest with a piece of leather strap.

Upfold99

I love my super elite 3!!! However it does get hot wearing the vest in Florida. Used the RNG 200 this year. Defiantly not a perfect vest, but I do like it and will be wearing it next spring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DeWayne Knight

I've been using a Mossy Oak Limbhanger for 4-5 years?  I wanted a new vest this year, and with the late spring I decided to go with a Bottomland pattern vest.  I got the Alps Grand Slam and am very happy with it.  I used it with and without the kickstand frame and love the vest both ways.  I like the pockets, the game bag also has a hydration pack pocket in it, and especially like the adjust-ability of it.  I humped to turkeys to the truck in the game bag, and especially with the frame it was a comfortable tote.  I may order one in Obsession to replace the Limbhanger...

ShootingABN!

Well I got a vest at Walmart around 1999. It's carried many a bird out of the woods. The camo is Advantage. What I didn't like about the vest is the BLACK shoulder straps.... Not really much that is BLACK in the woods.... So I camo'ed them.... Also upgraded a seat cushion.

I'd like to upgrade to one of those fancy one's that has a frame that you can set back in(without a tree)....

However I'll just keep my ole school one..... ;0