OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: ??The Perfect Turkey Vest??  (Read 3718 times)

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
??The Perfect Turkey Vest??
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
Ive always wondered what people  thought about their vests so I figured I would ask. I am very particular about my vest, I have a Super Tat'r 3 which cabelas doesnt make any more... Just wonder what everyone else is thinking/ using these days.

If you were going to create the PERFECT turkey vest what would it be? From the straps to the pockets, to the seat and the material, what would you want?

Do you carry a box call?
Do you carry more than one pot call?
Do you carry birds out with the pack in the back?
How important is a good cushion?

What vest are you running now and what do you like about it? What do you not like about it?

Let me know what you think! 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:05:01 PM by turkeykiller22 »

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: Turkey Vest
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »
In all reality I prefer a simple design without a crazy pocket layout. I am still using a super elite 3 that has been patched numerous times. I don't carry a ton of calls so I have more room than I need. I like a full vest here in the mountains where a typical morning is in the 40's. I hate the box call pockets on most vests so if I got a new vest that would be first to go. Another must is quiet material. Most vests are to noisy for my taste. A high cotten blend that is strong and silent.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: ??The Perfect Turkey Vest??
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 01:34:55 PM »
Good topic for after season. Like most I've tried a lot of vests but none were perfect. So instead of waiting for the perfect vest to be made I took a decent vest an made what I wanted. I took a Super elite 2 vest in Green leaf camo an had a friend do the alterations.
First thing was to remove all the plastic buckles and replace with buttons. The only zippered pockets I kept were the two inside pockets but I removed the clanky metal tabs on the zippers replaced with boot string.
I removed the small( useless) front pockets and replaced them with larger button close pockets for slates and one with shell loops inside.
Removed box call pocket that was across the front? Perfect place to hit gun and make noise , moved it to the left side out of the way and made sure it was high enough not to be sat on.
What's with the noisy plastic like liner in all Turkey vests? Cut that out so only soft cotton in back pouch. I mean when's the last time anyone stuffed a gobbler in the back pouch? I use a lanyard to carry my Gobblers.
Had pockets sewed on inside front for strikers and trumpet calls and one for slate on other side.
The thermocell fits perfectly in the mesh water bottle pocket on the right side but I did add a paracord loop to tie a lanyard from the thermocell to the vest so it doesn't get left if I take it out and sit it on the ground. Kept the seat cushion but removed the plastic snaps and put buckles for the seat straps. Also added a 1/2 " thick pad right were your upper spine contacts the tree when setting up.
I hunted 30 some days in a row in various terrain and weather the new altered vest worked better than I expected. Most vests are made in China by people that have never seen a Turkey and marketed by people that know the more zippers and useless pouches a vest has the better it sells. But like most things in turkey hunting experience teaches us less is more most times. Having dedicated custom pockets for each item needed really cuts down on the fumbling in the dark for an item.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
Original elite 2 and modified vest

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
When I use a vest it's a tactical tater from Cabela's.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 01:37:52 PM »
Modified  vest

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 01:38:35 PM »
Pockets

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
Slate

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:50 PM »
Strikers

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
Whenever you find a vest that really suites your needs buy a replacement or two for when the original wears out. If you dont it will almost be a guarantee to be discontinued.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
I used a Tenzing TV18 this year and I really like the vest, it is built more like a backpack with space between your back and the material and that helps keep the heat out. Pockets are in the right places and more than enough of them. The only thing that I did, was take the seat off and carry my Fatboy cushion in the back of the vest. Very lightweight and made very tough.

I've used and tried a bunch of them and this is by far the best one that I have found for me.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »
I currently have a Cabela's Tat'r...  One complaint is that it is a bit heavy, and another complaint is that I would prefer that the pockets do NOT unzip all the way around (so that my crap does not fall out when I unzip it too much).  But, I would still purchase one given the same opportunity.

I am a small guy (and thin), and the main reason I made the purchase was the inability to find a vest that did not fit me like a turkey hunting dress...  Apparently most turkey hunters are some big boys...  Due to my size, I am generally restricted to strap-style vests.

I enjoy the padded seat while sitting in the wet grass in the morning, but if I plan to run & gun during an afternoon hunt, I simply remove the seat.

I want a vest with well laid out pockets, and easy access to my most used calls.  I want it to be easily and quietly removable in case I want to make a short, quick, and quiet change of location.

I want the vest to be comfortable and quiet.

I want the game bag to be able to hold a bird, and carry it comfortably (I am often walking out a long ways uphill with a bird).

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
My personal evolution has brought me to the Alps little bear fanny pack / with turkey call front pouches. Most comfortable I have used. With the fanny pack belt & shoulder harness, it distributes weight - no heavy shoulders.

Using a chair, I no longer need or carry a cushion. I take off the Alps when I set up, and this has been an unbelievable comfort saver. I place it next to me, calls at the ready, but no "bulk" on my body as I sit. I can sit comfortably for hours like this. All morning, if necessary.

Might not be for everyone, but I love it. I'll never go back to a traditional vest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stXNJegwaS0

Offline earl9932

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22:07 PM »
I too was thinking about modifying an existing vest. I'm pretty damn experienced with upland vest and I find there are different needs for a turkey vest.

I like a small pocket for a slate, slats for the strikers, box call pocket in front of the hip hanging or slightly angled, front pockets for gloves and hat, and a pair of small pruning shears. Inside zipper pocket on both sides for knife, small flashlight, a pack of hand warmers for early season frost, handi-wipes. For the game bag, big enough to hold a collapsible decoy, and stake blind which is used as a padded back support when not in use. For the seat, nice padded flip up with large magnet holder as a back up to the inner tube seat I carry that is clipped to the vest with a carabiner. In regards to pockets, I find deep pockets and ones with a pocket inside of a pocket to be a nuisance. I like to access gear quickly, not have to dig around to find something but yet be big enough to get your hand in.   

I think the secrete to designing a vest is to incorporate function needs based on how it fits when standing, walking and sitting. I don't think a lot of designers take all three into consideration.

Online Hook hanger

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »
As long as there is room for a call, phone, gloves and mask and tp then it holds everything I need