OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: I Suck Too  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
I Suck Too
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »
Sorry Boyz. I am done. Second year in a row with no score, so Jim, I join you in the ‘Suck Department’. This has been by far, with no close second (even the year I missed because I was hunting terrorists instead of gobblers in AFG), an absolute nightmare. My cuz and myself worked a boss hen a couple of days ago (first and only one this year) who had a gobbler with her but he refuse to follow the script and come into shooting range. It was a blast though to work her especially when she walked away twice and called her back into steps of me. She made a racket looking for the hen in her territory.

The birds in NY have been decreasing year to year and could be from the urban development. One thing I do know, and I grind my teeth to, are the people who mess with the birds by calling them into their vehicle or house before the season. Even worse, these idiots refuse to accept that their actions educate the birds and makes it tougher for our season. Worst yet, the same idiots think nothing about bragging about it to me. Here’s another pet peeve; I saw three gobblers yesterday when driving to check other hunting areas and all three were in people’s yards. The feeding factor in my hunting areas have increased substantially over the years.

Anyway, sorry again for being scoreless. This year is the most time I put into it and with no results. I have to re-evaluate my plan for next year and consider doing a trip so I can actually work some birds.

Best regards to you and enjoy your summer before we get ready for ‘jumping beef’ season ????

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: I Suck Too
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
It happens man. Been there myself. 3 years ago I worked a pile of birds. Called in 11 on the last day of season and never got a shot. It’s unfortunately one of those things. Just gotta try again next year. Keep ur spirits up man. It’ll all turn around and u’ll get a 70+ bird next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
 I feel your pain Juice. It was a rough couple of seasons for me as well. Luckly this year it changed. I'm with you on  educating the birds. That drives me crazy. Hang in there, you'll be on top of your game soon.
B-Well
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline jryser

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
U don’t suck!  U all are good but frustrated hunters. Thankfully we got a forum here for the venting. We got good public here in Indiana!!!  Visit anytime!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Deputy 14

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:04:38 AM »
All turkey hunters suck occasionally because turkeys always suck. Don’t let it get you down. I just broke a two year drought this season by getting lucky twice.

Offline HVS

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
Doc, not sure where u are from in NY but take a look at the 2017 turkey survey for NY. https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/summertkyrpt17.pdf . The past few years in the hudson valley region has been really wet in the spring making it tough for any chicks to survive or even hatching.. I seen maybe 2 or 3 jakes this spring and talking to other hunters they say the same thing not seeing
 many jakes...

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:49 PM »
Hang in there Doc J!! We'll get them next season brother!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »
It's  tough to have two in a row.  But here's a couple of positives...
Having three in a row is statically harder, so next year will be better.
And , if you're going to have a bad year, have it when the team isn't in contention.

Anyway. Stay the course. Buy some new equipment, and remember the days you put in with friends.  Thanks for sharing...and let's get'em next year!