turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Long Does Breeding Season Last?

Started by NCL, May 26, 2018, 09:13:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

The reason I asked this question was in my area Northern California I saw gobblers in full strut as early as late January.  I am still seeing gobblers strutting. Does the breeding season vary year to year? How long does the breeding season usually last? I would think this would/could vary by area and maybe by sub species but I am curious because it seems to be so extended this year.  Thanks in advance

Happy

They will breed as long as there are hens willing. Many hens that loose their nests will attempt to breed again and this can stretch things out a bit.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

About 2 minutes for me.  Gobblers will try to breed just about as long as there as there are responsive hens.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

NCL

TauntoHawk

Quote from: NCL on May 26, 2018, 09:13:25 AM
The reason I asked this question was in my area Northern California I saw gobblers in full strut as early as late January.  I am still seeing gobblers strutting. Does the breeding season vary year to year? How long does the breeding season usually last? I would think this would/could vary by area and maybe by sub species but I am curious because it seems to be so extended this year.  Thanks in advance
Your question is answered in two parts, typical breeding window is weeks birds will breed multiple times hens will repeat the process if they lose their nest.

Strutting does not indicate breeding as gobblers will strut and gobble for various reasons at various times throughout the entire year. I'm sure gobblers do some strutting in all 12 months of the year

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

NCL

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 30, 2018, 06:53:58 AM
Quote from: NCL on May 26, 2018, 09:13:25 AM
Your question is answered in two parts, typical breeding window is weeks birds will breed multiple times hens will repeat the process if they lose their nest.

Strutting does not indicate breeding as gobblers will strut and gobble for various reasons at various times throughout the entire year. I'm sure gobblers do some strutting in all 12 months of the year

I did not know that gobbler strutted all year, I thought it was a breeding response. Thank you. As I say you learn something everyday.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Great answers.

Also in my home state of Virginia. Some young hens stay close to gobblers most of the season. This makes those birds hard to hunt.... I've seen hens being breed in the second or third week in May. Did the hen loose her eggs? I don't know....

However turkey behavior gobblers strut and constantly establish pecking order. Even within there social group. Amazing animals. Any time you get to watch them is a blessing.