OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many musicians on here?  (Read 3666 times)

Offline ozarktroutbum

How many musicians on here?
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »
Just curious. I am in my late 20's. Been a guitar player since age 13. Didn't start building calls until the last year and a half. I do feel like I have a good ear...but heck, that just how I think.

I feel like there's got to be a good number of yall on here. I don't know more than 1 or 2 turkey call makers personally and have no idea if they are musically inclined. I am sure it goes hand in hand, though.

Offline jryser

Re: How many musicians on here?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 10:35:28 PM »
I am!  That’s one thing I love about turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
I've been playing 6-string going on 40 years this year. Gonna venture into call making for the first time this year! Was fortunate enough to tag out with a double on day one of my season last Wednesday and will be using the wing bones to attempt to make a few calls (After I cook them LOL!). Not sure all those years of gigging and jamming will be of any help...Guess we'll see how that all goes!  :you_rock:
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline jryser

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
I've been playing 6-string going on 40 years this year. Gonna venture into call making for the first time this year! Was fortunate enough to tag out with a double on day one of my season last Wednesday and will be using the wing bones to attempt to make a few calls (After I cook them LOL!). Not sure all those years of gigging and jamming will be of any help...Guess we'll see how that all goes!  :you_rock:
You will be surprised at how your musical skills will play into your call making. My wingbone calls certainly benefit from my musical background.

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
I used to play guitar but not anymore. I'm not very musically inclined. I have a good ear for it but I lack rythem lol. I honestly don't see having a musical background as being beneficial for a few reasons. First is that there's not a "right and wrong" per se with turkey calls as far as sound. My calls may sound way different from the next guy, but we still both make great calls that kill birds. Where as with a guitar you can tell when one isn't tuned in. I do think having some knowledge of acoustics can help by just understanding the basic movement of sound bouncing off the wood. But at the end of the day if you do or don't have a musical background I'll bet you make a pile of nice fire wood figuring out "that sound".

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »
I gave bass guitar a shot when I was younger, did not do so well though. I can play Smoke on the Water, Mary Had a Little Lamb and taught myself the Star Spangled Banner using I think they were called Harmonics. I had a nice B.C. Rich Warlock in black and red crackle back in the day. I can pick out songs on the piano quite well if I am interested, taught myself chopsticks and a few other things on the piano. I have always loved music but have had no really talent for it. I would love to learn to play the banjo and fiddle.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 12:38:08 AM »
I play a little guitar, and a little piano. Not a finger-picking type in the least, and only play piano by ear. Singing is more my thing, but I do enjoy putting the singing with instruments once in a while. Used to write some stuff...thought I wanted to be a singer/song-writer, but didn’t find much success with it, and didn’t know the right people, so I quit giving it as much time. I may turn out a song a year these days.

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 02:10:38 PM »
Been playing guitar since I was 9, 54 now so you can do the math ;D Played a little fiddle, banjo and mandolin when I was in college.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »
I used to build guitars professionally(see a few I built below), and played a little too. I love building turkey calls( 1 box I built below) because I get to use similar skills, plus it is a blast to tune the calls like I did building guitars.

Top guitar is Australian Blackwood back & sides....Bottom guitar is Cocobolo.

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:04:32 PM »
This was a cool guitar, built it for a gent in Scotland....Redwood top with cutaway and Cocobolo back & sides.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline jryser

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 09:58:35 PM »
This was a cool guitar, built it for a gent in Scotland....Redwood top with cutaway and Cocobolo back & sides.

Beautiful. I play Volbrecht guitars and helped build my first one!!

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 07:13:01 PM »

Thanks.....I was not a very good player.

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls

Offline jryser

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »

Thanks.....I was not a very good player.
Lol neither is Ron Volbrecht - but amazing amazing instruments and I bet yours sound amazing. You can hear Volbrecht’s that I played on many songs you might have heard. Lots of Mellencamp stuff and a long forgotten album (yes that far back) of my own in 1990. 

Offline saverx

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
Strats and Plexi amps explain why I can't hear turkey's as well as I used to. There is always a price to pay it seems.

Offline EasternGobblerHunter69

• Turkey Assassin
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 02:29:28 AM »
I play guitar I'm 30 never had a lesson and in a local band. I play a 59 Olympic aged white heavy relic reissue! It def helps being musically inclined your ability to tell when a call is right or just got a little something missing but not much to plan crap, which we all know one of those! I have turkey tracks on my pick guard!
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!