OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Longbeard xr vs. longbeard xr magnum  (Read 4057 times)

Offline kellyguinn

Longbeard xr vs. longbeard xr magnum
« on: May 23, 2018, 12:25:51 PM »
Has anyone done any comparisons on these? I am wondering if the extra shot in the magnums is worth the loss of 150 fps. I have searched the site and nothing stood out to me so if this is duplicated somewhere I am sorry.

Offline Liljake

Re: Longbeard xr vs. longbeard xr magnum
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 01:40:19 PM »
 I was wondering the same,  since I’m using a 20 inch barrel I opted to stay with the faster load. I’m more than happy with the pattern I get at 40 yards w/ #5s. 150fps is about a 12% loss in velocity.
I Love matching wits with a bird that has a brain the size of a peanut.

Offline Prohunter3509

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »
Yes it is worth the difference in my gun
The slower speed really groups the shot more even
1200 I have a  good grouping the 1050 wraps that puppy up
Shooting a silver with it 665

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:44:08 PM »
I wanted the same thing I kind of hate it when they give us too many choices. I to attend to opt for more shot instead of high velocity but I get the higher velocity therefore will hit harder and maintain that in a longer distance. The slower is going to not hit his heart I understand that too. I also understand that the faster load once it drops below supersonic is going to have that transition wave catch up with it and potentially blow the pattern.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
I shoot the 3 inch # 6 Magnum out of an old single shot I have and it gets a super even pattern at 40 with 205 in the 10. I shot a turkey at 30-35 yard with that load the first week of May and it killed good. He didn't even flop any more after I got to him. I hav a photo of the 205 I will try to find and post. The 205 was with a Sumtoy 665.

Offline kellyguinn

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
I've been looking at patterns and no one ever says which version they were using lol.

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
Both loads pattern good. The 1 7/8 load patterns a little more even. The 1 3/4 is tighter at 40 yards. I don't count 10" numbers but go by what i visually see on target if that makes sense. I would try both in your gun and pick the best pattern.