OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best way to prepare turkey breasts  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Turkeyhunter

• As for me and my house, we shall serve the Lord.
Re: Best way to prepare turkey breasts
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2018, 12:39:34 PM »
I do it crockpot style and the breasts come out so moist they fall apart with your fork. The menu calls for a turkey breast but I just put in 3 lbs in the pot along with these ingredients.

Empty one can of cream of mushroom soup into crock pot.
(Because of the additional meat I used, I also added another 3/4 can of cream of mushroom)
Fill 3/4 can with heavy cream, add to crock pot and stir
(Again, used a little more heavy cream to account for the additional meat)
8 oz. pack of sliced mushrooms
One teaspoon of paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook for 8 hours on low

Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy, stovetop stuffing, vegetable of choice and crescent or dinner rolls and enjoy!

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
Usually I pluck the bird, and roast it in a baking bag, stuffed with apples, or onions.I don't freeze birds, unless I have to.They will keep in the fridge for 3 or 4 days. I cook mashed potatos, stuffing, basically a thanksgiving meal.Thats what I do.

Offline Divenut2

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 02:12:44 PM »
I'll be deep frying a 9lbs breast for the family this afternoon. I pluck my birds, separate legs, thighs, wings, back and breast. For the breast  I inject it 24 hours before cooking with my homemade marinade of oil, water, worschestire sauce, salt, pepper,  dry bay leaf, sage, thyme and dash of cayenne. Put all the dry ingredients in s coffee grinder until pulverized and finely ground. Add to water, oil and worschestire in small sauce pan. Bring to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool and inject into the breast at various spots and put in fridge over night.

Bring breast to room temp while oil heats up in fryer. When oil hits 325-350 degrees, put breast into fryer.  Cook 3.5 minutes per pound . When done, let it rests for 15 minutes before slicing.  Enjoy moist, juicy wild turkey! I like to serve with corn bread stuffing,  spicey maple syrup mashed sweet potatoes, grilled veggies and biscuits.   Sip bourbon while cooking and prepping the meal.  :blob10:
Love fishing and Deer hunting (Shotgun, Muzzleloader & Pistol). Recently became addicted to Turkey Hunting.

Offline countryboy3006

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 09:38:09 AM »
I brine mine overnight, put a rub on them the next morning, and cook them that night on my pellet grill.  Slice into thin strips with a little bbq sauce if you like.  Really tasty and my wife and daughter love it.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 09:49:05 AM »
I'll be deep frying a 9lbs breast for the family this afternoon. I pluck my birds, separate legs, thighs, wings, back and breast. For the breast  I inject it 24 hours before cooking with my homemade marinade of oil, water, worschestire sauce, salt, pepper,  dry bay leaf, sage, thyme and dash of cayenne. Put all the dry ingredients in s coffee grinder until pulverized and finely ground. Add to water, oil and worschestire in small sauce pan. Bring to simmer and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool and inject into the breast at various spots and put in fridge over night.

Bring breast to room temp while oil heats up in fryer. When oil hits 325-350 degrees, put breast into fryer.  Cook 3.5 minutes per pound . When done, let it rests for 15 minutes before slicing.  Enjoy moist, juicy wild turkey! I like to serve with corn bread stuffing,  spicey maple syrup mashed sweet potatoes, grilled veggies and biscuits.   Sip bourbon while cooking and prepping the meal.  :blob10:

That is a solid offering right there  :drool:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline cuttinAR

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2018, 12:52:33 PM »
I smoke the breast meat by trussing it like a roast and smoking at 200.  Use a cherry or apple wood and baste with honey every 30-45 minutes.  Takes about 3.5-4 hours but it can be eaten warm then sliced for sandwiches for the week.  Also do a brine for at least 24 hours prior to smoking.  It is by far my favorite way to eat turkey now. 

I'll still fry some up from time to time with fixins but that usually makes for a party. 

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
I just got my first turkey on Friday and am wondering the best way to cook the breasts. They are cut off the bird and in the freezer now. I gave the legs to my buddy. I do hAve access to a smoker.
I cut them onto 4 or so pieces and grill them with bbq sauce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2018, 05:10:34 PM »
So many ways. Some favorites in my house; Stir fry turkey,  turkey tacos, fried turkey nuggets, grilled after Italian dressing marinade (sometimes wrapped in bacon), turkey pasta with vodka sauce, turkey poppers  (jalepeno/cream cheese/wrapped in bacon), pulled turkey bbq in the crock pot... Or what's become a favorite...

Turkey breast in the crock pot..  2 blocks of cream cheese, a bunch of ranch dressing and a bunch of Frank's red hot. Cook til the turkey pulls apart... I like it on a Martin's roll, my wife prefers it as a dip with tortilla chips.  Good both ways!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline wbpc

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »
Like most others I like it grilled and fried.  For grilling though instead of marinating in Italian dressing for 24-48 hours I just season it with Italian dressing dry mix packs. It seems to have better flavor like that to me and it don’t require the time to marinade it.

For legs and thighs I like them cooked in a pressure cooker with onions, garlic, chicken broth, celery, salt and pepper. Shred the meat and it can be used several different ways. I like to make turkey and rice with some of it.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 05:53:53 PM »
Cut in 1” cubes, marinated in Allegro, wrapped in bacon with cream cheese. Held in place with a toothpick or two.
Grill at 300-350 until bacon is crisp.

Offline Popapi

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2018, 10:27:46 PM »
Good stuff