OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Best way to prepare turkey breasts  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Life of Riley

Best way to prepare turkey breasts
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »
I just got my first turkey on Friday and am wondering the best way to cook the breasts. They are cut off the bird and in the freezer now. I gave the legs to my buddy. I do hAve access to a smoker.

Offline Jbird22

• Longbeard
Re: Best way to prepare turkey breasts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eilDt7juqAM

My only advice is to remove as much silverskin as possible. It's worth the extra effort I assure you.

Offline maytom

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 11:07:08 PM »
Thanks!!!

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 11:56:51 PM »
Strips or nuggets / all good!

Offline bigbird

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 02:49:27 AM »
X2 on strips or nuggets. We use JR madds magic fish batter and I like dipping them into honey after I got em all cooked up

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 04:35:07 AM »
I started grinding mine up a few years ago and never looked back.  I make them into patties, freeze them in individual baggies.....turkey burgers on the grill year around.  Delicious.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
I cut mine up into 1 inch chunks and marinated them in Italian dressing over night. Wrap them in bacon, use either a tooth pick or uncooked spaghetti to hold the bacon in and grill them.
If you have any deer backstrap left you can do the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Uncle Nicky

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:47:09 AM »
Small cubes for deep fried nuggets. Marinated nuggets wrapped in bacon & cooked on the charcoal grill. Sliced into thin cutlets and pounded with a meat hammer, for weinerschnitzel, chicken fried steak, or turkey parmagiana. Do your best to get all the silverskin off, it does make a difference.

Offline slwayne

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 08:39:10 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm looking for suggestions on how to cook leg/thigh meat.  I've never kept the leg meat in prior years but decided to keep it from this year's bird.  I have chunks of leg/thigh meat that I cut off the bone and cleaned up real well.  Any good suggestions out there?  Thx

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
I cut mine up into 1 inch chunks and marinated them in Italian dressing over night. Wrap them in bacon, use either a tooth pick or uncooked spaghetti to hold the bacon in and grill them.
If you have any deer backstrap left you can do the same thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I like this one, I can't have breading or most batter on my diet so this would be the cat's meow. Thanks. Now I just have to shoot a turkey.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
There are a ton of recipes on the forum here as well in case you did not know. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/board,28.0.html I have to check some of them out myself to see if there are others I can have on my diet.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit but I'm looking for suggestions on how to cook leg/thigh meat.  I've never kept the leg meat in prior years but decided to keep it from this year's bird.  I have chunks of leg/thigh meat that I cut off the bone and cleaned up real well.  Any good suggestions out there?  Thx
I like to smoke them then make soup with any leftovers the smoked dark meat has excellent flavor. I brine mine for 24hrs season and wrap in bacon smoke until 165 wrap in foil and place in cooler for 30+ min.

If it's boneless I would just throw in a tin pan and lay the bacon on top but do the brine and smoke just the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline RAU

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
I like to open the breast like a book, pound flat, stuff with blue cheese, mushrooms, some sage and from the garden then roll it back up and wrap in bacon weave. More a method than a recipe o guess. Pics explain it better

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 10:54:09 AM »
Firstly, Any way you prepare turkey is a winner. I braise legs and wings and they are fabulous. All the above make my mouth water, lol. Recently I have been smoking my breast meat and it is better than any deli meat I have ever had. I need to go toast my lunch, Turkey bacon Monterey jack pannini with ranch bbq dipping sauce.  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline dutch@fx4

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 01:14:20 PM »
throw them in the slow cooker with beef broth until I near tender then add pottstos carrots onions and what ever you like .once all us tender thicken and enjoy