OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

questions for stuffer decoy users

Started by JonD., May 20, 2018, 04:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonD.

Hello everyone, not a new member here, but I mostly read a lot and don't post much. This is a great website BTW. I had some questions for those of you who have used/are using stuffer decoys as compared to "high end" plastic decoys such as DSD's, Deception, Avian X, etc. I'm looking into getting some new ones for next year and still undecided on which ones. To me, the real thing would definitely be unmatched as far as realism to the turkeys, but how long do they last? Could I get several years out of them if babied and stored correctly? If they get wet can you blow-dry them and fluff them back up or are they ruined? I would guess this would depend on how they were preserved?

Also I have read many, many positive reviews on the above mentioned decoy makers and several others. What are some of you guys observations as to how well they perform? Are they as effective as stuffers? I know they would have to be more durable and easier to care for.

And finally, please guys, lets not start a posting war as to why or why not decoys should be or not be used. I have killed many turkeys without decoys, and I have also killed many turkeys using decoys. I have had birds come right in and attack them, and I've also watched birds stand and look at them for 2 hours from 300 yards away and never come in. I love to go out and strike one up and hunt him and take him with nothing but a call, camo and shotgun, and I also love to sit comfortably in a blind all day in my jeans and a t-shirt with decoys out. I greatly enjoy hunting both ways. Just hoping to gain some helpul info from the great members here who have had experience they could share.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Marc

Having seen stuffer decoys, they take far more care, and unless done well, they do not look as good as some of the more realistic decoys out there...

So with a stuffer, you have a decoy that needs to be handled carefully (creating extra work and aggravation), that will rapidly lose their realism, that will not look as realistic initially unless well-done (which will cost more money), and are far more of a pain to store during the off-season.  And are far, far, less durable...

I would go with one of the more realistic decoys

DSD
Replica Decoy Company (RCD)
Deception Decoys

They will last longer, and very likely be more realistic (or more appealing as far as drawing in birds) initially.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

JonD.

Thanks Marc. I hadn't heard of Replica Decoy Company. I'll look them up.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

jryser

I had a stuffer for quite some time and the carry factor was the downfall. I've used the two dollar foamers from Target and killed over em, the DSD strutted as well (HEAVY AND BULKY!) and killed too.

I love the Avian X and they are my go to dekes now when I use em!  Which is about 3/4 of the time!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonD.

fallhnt

Stuffers work great. Pain to carry a strutter but 1/4 strut and hen carry in a bag just like my Deception and DSD. Had stuffers for 12 years now. I bow hunt public land and have had birds fold and walk  at high end decoys but finish to stuffers. I bought my first DSD so I wouldn't worry about using stuffers in the rain. Nothing is 100%.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

MK M GOBL

Have had a few buddies with stuffers and they gave them up for DSD's, too much care to be taken and cost to replace... I have DSD's and have great success!! There is a learning curve to hunting decoys "right" I have some rules I follow and have entire thread about DSD's. They are simple DEADLY

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,70971.0.html (click the link on DSD's)

I developed a White Headed Gobbler Decoy back in 1999 and made my first DSD version in 2012 and he is awesome! I attached his picture, adding in the fan, wings and beard give you the feather feature and are easily replaceable.

MK M GOBL

JonD.

JonD.

Quote from: Marc on May 20, 2018, 06:28:39 PM
Having seen stuffer decoys, they take far more care, and unless done well, they do not look as good as some of the more realistic decoys out there...

So with a stuffer, you have a decoy that needs to be handled carefully (creating extra work and aggravation), that will rapidly lose their realism, that will not look as realistic initially unless well-done (which will cost more money), and are far more of a pain to store during the off-season.  And are far, far, less durable...

I would go with one of the more realistic decoys

DSD
Replica Decoy Company (RCD)
Deception Decoys

They will last longer, and very likely be more realistic (or more appealing as far as drawing in birds) initially.

Do you know if Replica Decoy Company has a website other than FB? I don't have a FB account and never going to have one. I can see some of the photos without a big add wanting me to sign up, but that's about it. Great looking decoys, but I would like to know how many different ones they make and prices and just some more info. Thanks!

Dtrkyman

I have a stuffer hen that is at least 10 years old, she has been used and abused and still looks great, I just carry her under my arm or by the stake.

I use my dsd Jake mostly anymore and throw the breeding hen in with him sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK M GOBL

Updated my Strutter for this year, DSD came out with a "Jake" Strutter and in a much smaller body. Didn't take me no time to "Gobblerize" him and put my White Headed design on him. This way I still had a strutter but in a much smaller size, easier to haul around when I use him. Sure to be a killer!

MK M GOBL

JonD.

I broke down and bought my first DSD, a hen. Can't wait to try it out. Been seeing groups out in the fields on the way to work.