OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Last day Virginia hammer-Upgrade  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Mountainburd

Last day Virginia hammer-Upgrade
« on: May 19, 2018, 03:38:46 PM »
It has not stopped raining since last Monday, and as of today, I've recorded over 13 inches of rain in the rain gauge.  To say the woods are soaked is an understatement.  Lots of flooding and even though I'm in the mountains, all the water has screwed up a lot of my areas.....bad.

So for the last day of our season, I head to a hillside of timber between two big fields that I knew some birds were still hanging around.  It's a steady rain as I got set up in the timber, and to my surprise, a bird sounds off within 50 yards.  Thank goodness for the foliage and rain to help cover the sound.

He gobbled a total of 8-10 times, and I could see him on the limb.  Another bird about 100 yards away gobbled 3-4 times as well.  I coulnd't help but be happy I had two birds gobbling on the roost in the steady rain on the last day of the season within 100 yards of me.

At 550 which was still very dark with the cloud cover and rain, a hen pitched down in front of me and down over the hill.  About 30 seconds later, he pitched down not 30 yards in front of me...and that was all she wrote.  Trust me, I don't ever get that lucky on a roost bird.  He's a stud.

Double beards, (Both beards 10.75 inches)
20.5 lbs
1 3/8 spurs

What a way to end the season. Sorry about teh lousy picture...he was soaked.  I'll post in the entry thread as well.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Last day Virginia hammer-Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
Awesome. Congrats.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 04:24:30 PM »
Way to go. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
The saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky than good!!" What awesome luck!! You were in the right spot, at the right time, in the right weather. If it had been dry, the turks would have heard you walking in. Congrats brother!!! That's one stud gobbler!! :icon_thumright:

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 10:57:35 PM »
WTG MB! Congrats on a great Tom  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Hayudog

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 10:59:16 AM »
Way to stay after them. Hunting in the rain is tough. Though I'd rather hunt in the rain than howling wind. Great bird.   And well deserved. Congrats

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
Congrats on an awesome bird  :z-guntootsmiley: