OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 2nd lousy season in a row  (Read 3995 times)

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
2nd lousy season in a row
« on: May 07, 2018, 03:23:16 AM »
Well, kick me off the team cause I suck!!! ::)
My shitty season from last year picked up right where it left off last season.  >:(
Got drawn for one of my favorite WMA hunts in FLA, only to find the birds super henned up. Very few gobbles on the roost, then they flew down to hens and shut up. Only saw solo gobblers late in the afternoon, after legal hunting hours.
Went to SC 3 times this season, and found the exact same conditions. Sparse gobbling on the roost, flew down, shut up. There were a few days that they fired up between 9 and 11, but only to real crow calls. They wouldn't answer my calls or come in. Only had one gobbler come in, but branches blocked my shot. I had to listen to him spittin' and drummin' for the next hour.
Finally, my trips to Georgia and Kansas both fell through for the 2nd year in a row. Then my trip to Idaho with Hayudog also fell through due to doctor's appointments. I've been dealing with an on the job shoulder injury for the last 2 years, and have been extremely limited on my time in the woods due to appointments and physical therapy. Being on Workers Comp, I am stuck in Florida going to these appointments, or else WC would cut off my benefits.  >:(
I hope like hell to be finished with this shoulder issue, and have my 3rd surgery ::) on my left shoulder before next season. I want to plan a multi-state turkey extravaganza, and make up for the last two shitty years.
Sorry to be a loser guys, and I promise to do my best to make up for it next season.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: 2nd lousy season in a row
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
20 years with that bottle on yer back and straps digging into your shoulders don't tickle. Hang tough JimBo you'll be back. I had a rough two seasons as well,  I'm lucky to break out this season. I'm looking forward to get out tomorrow.
B-Well
Johnny
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:37:24 PM »
34 years brother, not 20, and yes, it does take a toll on the body.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 07:38:52 PM »
My seasons the same as last yr. Have to get Wildspur to guide me. Sorry for the shoulder. I never got my cuff taken care of heard some horror stories about that. I just deal with it now.My 35 yrs was the best time. I look back at it quite often and say where did that time go.Wouldnt trade it for anything. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
My 35 yrs was the best time. I look back at it quite often and say where did that time go.Wouldnt trade it for anything. :firefighter:
Oh trust me, I loved the job, and have fond memories of it. :firefighter: It just sucks that the county and Workers Comp are not doing the right thing and taking care of me. Instead, it's going to be a legal battle. Plus, worst of all, it's impacted my turkey hunting!!! :lol: ;) ;D

Offline Mountainburd

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
Think about how many good seasons you've probably had besides the last two.  You know what you're capable of as turkey hunter.  Don't let it get you down.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 09:15:19 PM »

I was talkin about how I feel with 20 JimBo  ;) 
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Online outdoorsmen

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 11:45:16 PM »
15 horrible days hunting this year. I see lone hens and the 2 local gobblers keep to themselves.  I think they may like each other....i only hunt 40 acres that i own. The birds are always on my neighbors. It sucks i cant go over there.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
I was talkin about how I feel with 20 JimBo  ;) 
I'm working on plans to join y'all in the 20 Club next season. Maybe Hayudog is right, they might be scared of my 12 gauge 3-1/2" land cannon. :lol:

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »
15 horrible days hunting this year. I see lone hens and the 2 local gobblers keep to themselves.  I think they may like each other....i only hunt 40 acres that i own. The birds are always on my neighbors. It sucks i cant go over there.
I've been in similar situations before. It's frustrating. Is there anything you can do to improve your land and make it more attractive to the turkeys? Controlled burns? Chufa plots? Etc?

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 03:06:08 PM »
Think about how many good seasons you've probably had besides the last two.  You know what you're capable of as turkey hunter.  Don't let it get you down.
I've gotta admit, I was super frustrated during the season. But, it is what it is. I've come to grips with it. Now I'm trying to plan a multi-state spring extravaganza for next year. :fud: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey: :turkey:

Online outdoorsmen

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 07:12:10 PM »
Ive thought about land projects but time and money is the problem. I have no opening or anything to convert to a plot. If i were to make a plot i would have to do some major tree cutting. And to me cutting down a tree is a 50 year decision. Ya know what i mean. Once its cut there isnt a quick fix. I wouldn't live to see the trees come back. Plus once they are on the ground id have to piece them up small to move them cause i dont have a tractor, just 4 wheelers.  And to top it off im not much of a farmer.  I dont think a 1/2 acre plot would even get enough light to grow. The trees are mature oak and hickory. Honeysuckle is invading pretty strong along with other crap growing that once leafs pop out a 10yd shot is a long one.  I am better off early season before green up.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 10:39:35 PM »
Sounds like a Catch 22. You've got your own land, but it's not big, and it's thick. Well, it was a thought. Best of luck brother!! :firefighter:

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
You'll bounce back Jim and bust some beaks next season. I have been lucky the last two seasons and scored the weekend before the season closed.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 05:40:00 PM »
You'll bounce back Jim and bust some beaks next season. I have been lucky the last two seasons and scored the weekend before the season closed.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: