OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Looking for advice on how to purr on a trumpet  (Read 2505 times)

Offline Parahunter

Looking for advice on how to purr on a trumpet
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:04:17 PM »
I'm looking for some tips and instruction on how to purr on a trumpet?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
Re: Looking for advice on how to purr on a trumpet
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:11:41 PM »
The closest I can get is by doing a soft kee and gurgling your throat in reverse.  It's an inhale gargle if that makes sense.  I don't use it when hunting with a trumpet and never needed it.  Just me. 

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Parahunter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
The closest I can get is by doing a soft kee and gurgling your throat in reverse.  It's an inhale gargle if that makes sense.  I don't use it when hunting with a trumpet and never needed it.  Just me.
Yeah, I'm starting to realize it's mostly impossible for the average guy. I just hunt with them, thought maybe I could just take my trumpet nothing else. But I wouldn't want to limit my self to clucks and yelps. I searched some of the old posts they say the same kind of thing you said. Thanks for your advice.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
I have been making trumpets and going to shows for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the people that can purr on a trumpet or wingbone.

Offline USMC0331

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 07:49:51 PM »
John DangerfieldII may be able to help you. He is the only one  I know that can purr on one.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 08:32:42 PM »
I've TRYED and TRYED and TRYED
It's hard BECOUSE you have to inhale not exhale
Maybe someone will have some input
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 09:26:42 PM »
My half a$$ trumpet yelp works so well I haven’t needed to purr yet in the woods, but I’m working on a purr. The best way I can describe it is I’m vibrating the back of my throat while drawing sharply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »
When I was about to listen to Dangerfield's trumpet purr, I was expected some general approximation. Dang if he doesn't sound near perfect. I'm not anywhere resembling dedicated enough to learn that.

It's a lot easier to just carry a Frictionwood; no practice necessary.

Offline ltprod

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:51:16 PM »
Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline M Sharpe

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:38:38 PM »
I have been making trumpets and going to shows for over 20 years and I can count on one hand the people that can purr on a trumpet or wingbone.

Bob, not sure that is a contented purr at that. I've heard a few purr but it is more of an aggressive purr.
Whines are a lot easier to make on a trumpet, wingbone or yelper! Never seen the need for a purr on one, if he's that close, he should be dead!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 08:43:32 PM »
This.

I can purr somewhat realistically on a trumpet. It takes lots of practice and being consistent in the field is hard for me. Trumpets are best suited for clucks, yelps, cutts and even kee keeing if desired.

Dangerfield and Patrick Gamble are the two best I have heard in person with a trumpet- on every call that can be made with one.

I find that the purr is best made with tongue movement. If you practice long enough, it will click one day- but it's not easy to master.

Bob, not sure that is a contented purr at that. I've heard a few purr but it is more of an aggressive purr.
Whines are a lot easier to make on a trumpet, wingbone or yelper! Never seen the need for a purr on one, if he's that close, he should be dead!
Royal Slam 2008