OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lathe attachment for pot calls

Started by longbearded1, May 14, 2018, 06:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbearded1

I see videos where you screw your pot call blank directly into a screw on your lathe. What is that attachment for your lathe called and where can I purchase one? Currently using a waste block glued to back of blank. Thanks in advance for that information.

Upfold99

Screw chuck.

You can also make one with a faceplate.

Screw wood to faceplate, turn wood down to your desired profile. Once complete drill hole in center and place the screw in the center. I counter sink the head on the back side and fill around the head with epoxy. The threaded part will stick out the wood opposite of the head stock. Then just thread blank on the screw.

The second photo is a bottle stopper chuck. I dont like this way but inexpensive. Got me by a lil while when first getting started.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

longbearded1

Upfold, thank you sir, very helpful. What brand is that in the first photo and anything special I need to know before ordering one?

southern_leo

Most people just make their screw chucks. Just round out a piece of wood smaller in diameter than your pot and run a screw threw the middle. Then attach that to your faceplate. I've seen some thread their work and screw the pot straight on and I've seen some just use wing nuts to hold the pot. That bottle topper screw does the same thing if you want to attach your pot directly. I use a 4 jaw chuck and flat jaws. I order my stuff from PSI woodwork. They have the bottle topper screw.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

outdoors

BACK WHEN I WAS TRYING TO GET STARTED
RELIZED THERES MORE ONE WAY TOO TURN A POT
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

doublespurs21

what if you do not want to use a center hole on your pot????

jjnfla

Quote from: doublespurs21 on May 14, 2018, 09:09:38 PM
what if you do not want to use a center hole on your pot????
A jaw chuck,like mentioned above psi barricuda is what i use.

misfire

I do not have a center hole on my post. I have 2 Pinnacle Chucks that I got at Woodcraft when they were on sale. On one I have the larger jaws which allows me to chuck a piece and turn the inner dimensions, then change out chucks and be able to turn outer dimensions
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

southern_leo

This is very much like what I do, except I do the outside first then the inside
Quote from: misfire on May 17, 2018, 04:45:23 PM
I do not have a center hole on my post. I have 2 Pinnacle Chucks that I got at Woodcraft when they were on sale. On one I have the larger jaws which allows me to chuck a piece and turn the inner dimensions, then change out chucks and be able to turn outer dimensions

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk