Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Not a gobbler, but...

Started by mightyjoeyoung, May 18, 2018, 01:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyjoeyoung

Couldn't hunt the bench yeaterday because of work, but I set my alarm for 0400 this morning...aaaaand woke up at 0445!   :angry9:  Jumped out of bed and hot footed it out to the farm.  Got there only 10 minutes later than usual so I wasn't in too much trouble. Got to the spot the gobblers have been strutting while they wait for the hens and placed only my AVX breeder 15 yards out and angled to my left.  As if on cue the birds stared sounding off on the roost at 0545.  I heard only 3 gobbles though and then they went dead quiet. At 0600 I caught a quick flash of dark movement 60 yards out along the edge of the ravine.  Now I knew why it got so quiet.  This guy was out on the prowl.  He turned at 40 and headed to the bench on my right but stopped.  I mouth squeaked once and he turned and came running.  When I squeazed the trigger his feet were on and dead log that was a whopping 7 yards from my gun barrel!  He took every pellet AND the wad from the heavyweight 7s and it stoned him, hitting him at the base of the neck, just in front of his left shoulder, rolling him backwards.   I don't know how but he got back up and half ran, half pushe'd himself about 45 yards before piling up for good.  I swear I thought he was going to jump in my lap!  You know your camo works when the wad kills him too.  Lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

daddyduke

That's what you call "Up close and Personal"!
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

xarcher

The gobblers ought to let you kill one of their own out of gratitude for saving the whole flock. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: xarcher on May 18, 2018, 02:51:40 PM
The gobblers ought to let you kill one of their own out of gratitude for saving the whole flock.

Ha!  I was thinking the exact same thing for an hour after I shot him!  Lol
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

FullChoke

Wait, you killed this coyote with a used tampon? You.....are......good!  :TooFunny:

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

wvmntnhick

That's awesome. Better than killing a turkey any day. I enjoy killing birds as much as the next guy but gettin rid of an apex predator that feeds on them helps the birds we love to chase. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cramerhunts