OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Versamax Sportsman Turkey Review  (Read 5964 times)

Offline bowpro

Versamax Sportsman Turkey Review
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:46:32 PM »
I just picked up a new Versamax Turkey with the 22" barrel and thought I would share a few thoughts on it.  After unboxing and assembling it I noticed the action was rough and sticking to the rear every time I pulled the action to the rear and I would have to puch it forward with a little pressure to make it close.  When I locked it to the rear and pushed the release button it would not close until I again pushed on it a little.  One time it locked to the rear and would not close no matter how hard I pushed.  I actually had to get a wooden dowel place it against the bolt knob and tap it with a hammer to get it to close.  I was pretty aggrivated at this point and ready to return it at this point. 

I decided that maybe it just needed some breaking in and I shot about 1 1/2 boxes of low brass #7's through it and they ran flawlessly.  I also used this as an opportunity to rough sight it in.  I am not a big fan of the plastic sights but they do seem to be pretty well made and provide a good sight picture.  The trigger has a ridiculous amount of creep in it and is really heavy.  I didnt measure but I am guessing close to 10 pounds.   The forearm fit is a little sloppy and I tightened the magazine cap really well to no avail.  Still makes some popping sounds.  The gun feels good in my hands and points well and is a great size for either run and gun or in a blind.  I also shot 2 Winchester Longbeard 3.5" #5 through it at 40 lasered yards and got 191 and 176 in 10" circle with the factory turkey choke so that was a major positive. 

All in all, for a $900 gun I am disappointed in the quality.  Even after a little break in the action still will stick to the rear if you pull it by hand and wont always drop when you lock it to the rear and hit the release button.  It did get better and may well break in completely but no call for it not working straight out the box.  At least it patterns well.   

Offline maddog3355

Re: Versamax Sportsman Turkey Review
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 09:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the review. For $900 I would take it back. Life is to short to have a rough action.

Offline TURKEY MASTER

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:07 PM »
Im kinda disappointed thats the gun that I've really had my eye on.

Offline dms2511

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
Ive had one for several years and havent been disapointed. Ive not experienced any of the problems that you noted, with the exception of the forearm. Mine seems a touch loose, but it really doesnt bother me. I do remember others with same issue that had complained to Remington and had issue fixed.

Disapointing that you are having problems, Ive heard that Remington's quality control has only gotten worse and that they are not far from being out of business. Hope this isnt the case, as Remington has always been a favorite.

Offline TURKEY MASTER

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:52 PM »
Remington has always been my favorite also kinda disappointing to see them haven trouble. They need to take more pride in what they do.

Offline bowpro

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:01:05 PM »
I'm going to keep it and see if it breaks in and works right.  Ive got about 50 rounds through it and it feed flawless, but still the action doesn't want to close when the release is pushed and it will stick back even if the shell release isn't pushed.  Seems like it is catching on the rear of the shell lifter because you can push slightly up on it and it will close. 

Offline TURKEY MASTER

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
Probably gonna be something simple to fix it.

Offline DeltaRunner

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
I bought an 1187 turkey edition new.  I'm guessing it was about 10 years ago.  The trigger was just like you are describing.  One of the worst triggers I've had on any firearm.  I took it to a talented gun smith and had a trigger job done.  He was able to reduce the pull and reduce the creep.  I have to say after the trigger job I would rate it average at best.  Also the shotgun was prone to jamming with any ammo.  I was very disappointed and ended up selling it a few years later.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 11:33:03 PM »
I'd be on the phone with Remington. There is no way I'd let the action slide. If it doesn't release with the action button....... It'd go back to the factory. Matter of a fact I wouldn't have given it a break in period. It would have to work out of the box for me....

Hope it is doing better for ya.

Good luck.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »
I am sure you've done this but since I on't see it mentioned, I won't just make that assumption. Have you stripped your gun down to its basic parts and really cleaned it? When I see a guun with these kinds of problems, I use a lot of solvent, soak anything that you can, use some compresses air and a toothbrush and clean every nook and cranny, really looking for any gunk or remnants from manufacture. I'll let everything dry then look it over again, oil where it needs it, put everything back together and see what happens.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »
I am sure you've done this but since I on't see it mentioned, I won't just make that assumption. Have you stripped your gun down to its basic parts and really cleaned it? When I see a guun with these kinds of problems, I use a lot of solvent, soak anything that you can, use some compresses air and a toothbrush and clean every nook and cranny, really looking for any gunk or remnants from manufacture. I'll let everything dry then look it over again, oil where it needs it, put everything back together and see what happens.
Thanks,
Clark

Great advise Clark.
I guess there could be something binding the release button.... Like grease or Styrofoam from the packing.....

Offline Catfishlee

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 03:31:23 PM »
What load / choke combo have you guys seen work good out of the versa ?

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 05:56:18 PM »
I’d strip the gun and make sure all grease and debris etc are cleaned out. I’d have never fired it before doing that. If it’s a dipped gun be careful of the solvents you use as they could attack the paint if they leak onto exterior. If that doesn’t cure your issues I’d take it back and either swap, check it right there in store, or demand a refund and buy something else. Lots of choices out there in that price range from Franchi, and others.

As a collector of old 870 Wingmasters it pains me to say this - Remington and their holdings - Marlin, Bushmaster etc are just building pure junk these days. Even their loaded ammo is crap.  The banks and investors should have let them die off instead of putting us thru this sustained agony. You have to wonder if anyone even looked at the shotgun and did a simple function check before they boxed and shipped it? And their price point is nudging ever closer to the better Italian brands. I have a couple green box loyalists left as friends and their recent experiences with Model 7s and 700s are depressing to say the least.

Timney makes a  trigger kit for Remington shotguns with a replacement sear and a series of pull weight springs you can tune to your liking. I don’t own one but hear good things. Taran might have something too.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »
I’d strip the gun and make sure all grease and debris etc are cleaned out. I’d have never fired it before doing that. If it’s a dipped gun be careful of the solvents you use as they could attack the paint if they leak onto exterior. If that doesn’t cure your issues I’d take it back and either swap, check it right there in store, or demand a refund and buy something else. Lots of choices out there in that price range from Franchi, and others.

As a collector of old 870 Wingmasters it pains me to say this - Remington and their holdings - Marlin, Bushmaster etc are just building pure junk these days. Even their loaded ammo is crap.  The banks and investors should have let them die off instead of putting us thru this sustained agony. You have to wonder if anyone even looked at the shotgun and did a simple function check before they boxed and shipped it? And their price point is nudging ever closer to the better Italian brands. I have a couple green box loyalists left as friends and their recent experiences with Model 7s and 700s are depressing to say the least.

Timney makes a  trigger kit for Remington shotguns with a replacement sear and a series of pull weight springs you can tune to your liking. I don’t own one but hear good things. Taran might have something too.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion for sure, but rest assured that at least in my case (and apparently quite a few others if the posts on ShotgunWorld are any indication) my V3 is about as far from “ pure junk” as you can get. You may be referring to the unfortunate days when Cerberus owned Remington. Those days are long gone. .

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 02:03:25 AM »
No offense intended. I’m sure your V3 is excellent. I do hope they have their act together. The two rifles I recently examined lead me to conclude otherwise. Would be nice to have at least one of the two great American classic brands still producing quality firearms domestically.