OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Black Hills of South Dakota  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Andy502

Black Hills of South Dakota
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »
New member here, but I thought I'd give my SITREP from my trip out to the Black Hills last weekend.  We had three different groups of hunters at our camp, and we were all hunting National Forestry Service land around the Custer area.  First day weather was perfect turkey hunting weather, cold enough to see your breath but bright and sunny with hardly any wind.  Early in the morning heard some gobblers shock gobble to the truck horn on the ground behind a pasture on private property.  After that the weather turned crappy real quick and it was overcast and sprinkling off and on for the next three days.  Only heard one shock gobble on the roost.  When they were on the ground, we would only run into lone hens while driving up and down the logging roads, saw one jake with a hen but that was it.  Then on Saturday afternoon we did a death march around the perimeter of the private land we heard the birds from the other day, ended up seeing three jakes running up ahead of us about 300 meters away.  Spoke with another hunter in Custer and he thinks the hens are already nesting, hence the gobbler bachelor groups.

Offline SD_smith

Re: Black Hills of South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
I live in the northern part of the hills. Birds have been gobbling decently around everywhere. Unfortunately the weekend you speak of was awful due to the weather. We had a difficult time even on river bottom farms north of the hills. Sunday they seemed to be ready to rumble and we pulled a double that morning.