OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870  (Read 13211 times)

Online High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
Remington 870
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:49:55 PM »
I have to give a plug  for the Remington 870 super mag. 12 guage.Ive used one the last 3 years, and it's been good.It has a camo finish, and I shoot 1 7/8 ounce lead bb's.Federal, copper plated.Its a nice gun for turkey, and a good hunting buddy willed it to me, before he died, so that makes it special. You can get one at Walmart for 365.

Offline SD_smith

Re: Remington 870
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
I have a 12 Ga. 870 and it is about as good as they get for the price. I call it the Howitzer because it weighs as much as a cannon, but can easily shoot 40 yards without hesitation and I can switch it up for upland birds and fowl if needed.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »
Until you have a shotgun with Wingmaster stamped on the reciever you will not know what the 870 was meant to be. The Express models will suffice ...but so will a ugly fat women.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline renegade19

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:46:16 PM »
Until you have a shotgun with Wingmaster stamped on the reciever you will not know what the 870 was meant to be. The Express models will suffice ...but so will a ugly fat women.

Who you gonna go to battle with?  An ugly fat woman or a fashion model?  Wingmasters for the wealthy upland bird gentlemen.  870 Express models for those of us who get down and dirty in the bush!   :TooFunny:

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:17 PM »
lol I'd still rather have a good looking women regardless of what activity I was involved in. There's not a smoother more reliable pump than an older Wingmaster. Not saying anything is wrong with the Express models the ones from 10 or so years ago were good guns for the price range, not including the garbage that has been produced recently.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:30:52 AM »

Who you gonna go to battle with?  An ugly fat woman or a fashion model?  Wingmasters for the wealthy upland bird gentlemen.  870 Express models for those of us who get down and dirty in the bush!   :TooFunny:
My experience is that the Express was a disposable shotgun, and the Wingmaster is the one I would want in the trenches for both appearance and function...  But by far for function...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »
Got an 870 SP with 145 notches on the stock!!!

CrustyRusty

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 08:32:19 AM »
I have several 870’s from about every decade starting in the 60’s, including a 69 wingmaster that was a welcome home gift I bought for myself.  I have wingmasters from recent production that are the equal of that old wingmaster, with some changes I don’t care for, but are nonetheless as capable and as well made.  I also have expresses.  They have all served their purpose very well.  Some are pretty, some are ugly....they all function perfectly.  Sure Remington has stumbled over the years and there are bound to be some duds after producing 11 million or so guns, but we shouldn’t condemn them for the few that have been bad, and most certainly we should not give in to internet hype that does nothing more than feed into the potential ruin of a USA gun manufacturer.

High PlainsDrifter, thank you for your post, it’s good to see you are enjoying that shotgun and sharing a positive experience.  I too have some guns that friends and family have willed to me and they are some of the treasures of my life.

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
been hunting with an 870 since I was 14 years old (1974). I actually have a 1952 model 12ga with a 30" full choke barrel that my grandfather bought new at the local company store. I killed my first turkey with it. my personal opinion is the 870 is the best field shotgun ever made. don't get me wrong...I like others but that ol pump is my #1.

Online High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »

Who you gonna go to battle with?  An ugly fat woman or a fashion model?  Wingmasters for the wealthy upland bird gentlemen.  870 Expres s models for those of us who get down and dirty in the bush!   :TooFunny:
.        Big lol.These camo 870's can really take a beating.The trick is to find the right sight.That factory bead, is hard to see.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »
I've had my 870 express magnum since 92. She's laid down many a long beards. She's had several rattle can paint jobs..... I love that ole gun....

I put a scope on her last year... Missed two birds same day this spring. Scope mount was stripped.... I've got steel rings. I'm hoping she'll do better next spring.

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2020, 01:16:25 AM »
That’s all I have used for 5 or so years. I have killed probably around 300 squirrels with it not to mention plenty of turkeys.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline Here turkey turkey turkey

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2020, 01:16:56 AM »
That’s all I have used for 5 or so years. I have killed probably around 300 squirrels with it not to mention plenty of turkeys. It’s scratched up and looks pretty rough, lol.
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

Offline hotspur

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 08:52:42 AM »
My first shotgun was a wingmaster 12 , wish I still had it . I have 4 870, 2  12 gauges and 2 20 gauge, one 20 is a wing master. The other is my new turkey gun

Offline huntineveryday

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »
My first gun was a used 870 wingmaster 20 guage. I used that for everything until I graduated undergrad and got an 870 express 12 guage supermag. That 12 guage has shot thousands of rounds at doves, pheasants, ducks, turkeys, and coyotes over the years! It's been fired hot, cold, frozen, clean, dirty, and downright filthy and continues to be reliable. The only thing that's wrong is the paint job is faded and chipped off in a few places. But I'll get it painted up with a rattle can and sponges before season starts and keep using it!