OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870  (Read 13237 times)

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
Re: Remington 870
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2021, 11:13:18 PM »
I bought a Remington 870 Express( Synthetic Black Stock, Matte Finish)3.5" Super Mag. years ago.  It has been a fine reliable turkey taker over the years.  It loves the old Remington Straight Rifled Turkey Choke tube and the vintage Federal Premium 3.5" 2 1/4 oz. #4 shot turkey loads I have stashed away to use in it.  It's a real THUMPER!  I killed one nice gobbler with it years ago and he died so quick he fell straight down and never moved a muscle, not a twitch, nothing! Did not even disturb the leaves he was standing on.  Only bird I ever killed that did that!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline PNWturkey

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
My dad bought me a used 870 Wingmaster almost 40 years ago and it is the only shotgun I have ever owned!

2 3/4 chamber and original barrel didn't have choke tubes.  Years ago I upgraded to a choked barrel which can handle 3" shells and I now use it as a single-shot turkey gun for 3" shells (doesn't eject 3" properly due to placement of ejection spring).

Can't go wrong with a Wingmaster!  It will outlast your lifetime if you keep it clean and oiled...

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2021, 04:10:33 PM »
I've got an 870 Wingmaster bought around 1970 or so. It has killed more than a few turkeys. I have a 30" full choke barrel and a 20" slug barrel. I had the slug barrel drilled and tapped for screw-in chokes...Briley. Although I no longer use it for turkey hunting I would have no hesitation to do so.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2022, 09:40:02 PM »

Until you have a shotgun with Wingmaster stamped on the reciever you will not know what the 870 was meant to be. The Express models will suffice ...but so will a ugly fat women.

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2022, 08:46:53 AM »
I hunted a 870 Wingmaster , 30"  fixed full choke for approximately 30 years. Had a bunch of success with that gun.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2022, 02:11:15 PM »
The early 90s Bottomland/Greenleaf Models IMO are right there with the Wingmasters. When you compare components and feel, the are both built like tanks. I get why the Wingmaster is considered the best of the best, but I have no problems with those early special purpose models. I think the quality changed with the onset of the Express model. I only wish they would bring the old ones back…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 04:03:22 PM »
I have four 870's.  Two express models which are my main turkey guns,  my 20 gauge 870 WingMaster that I bought when I was seventeen back in the 70's and my Uncle Don's 16 gauge that he bought in 1958.  That 16 gauge is the smoothest action I've ever held.  The other 3 are just not the same.   That 16 gauge has also had a few cases of shells run through it.  My 20 WingMaster was my only gun for many years and had a lot of shells run through it also but it's not near the gun that the 16 is.  The 12 SuperMag and the 20 are great turkey hammers but the action is rough by comparison.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 07:16:20 PM »
The new Remingtons might work ok but are a little rough and not close to as smooth as the old wingmasters. Until someone works one it’s hard to understand. Imo the express models started the company going the a negative direction. I haven’t bought a Remington of any sort in over 20 years now, the last one was a 28 ga Wingmaster I bought for my daughter when she was a year old.

Offline OJR

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2022, 11:52:21 AM »
My son called me over 20 years ago. He was at Academy Sports and Outdoors. He said that they were giving away a nice aluminum double gun case when you buy an 870. He swung by my office and got the money and that gun has been all over the country killing turkeys. Still use it to this day. It has gone through a few modifications through the years, but still a solid piece of equipment.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2022, 12:55:41 AM »
My experience is that the Wingmaster is heads and tails above the express...

I have an older gun, and the action is fairly smooth, and it points well.  Reliable, and easy to clean...  The Express guns I have had experiences with have not been comparable in quality.

My experience with pumps that I have shot or owned:

870 Wingmaster probably tops the list as reliable, smooth action, and a good pointing gun and affordability.
Model 37 has a smoother action, and points exceptionally, but my older gun (20 gauge) is extremely fickle with ammunition.
BPS, has a smooth action, is dependable, but feels a bit "blocky" to me...  Tougher to clean than the 870.
Model 12 is a smooth action and a good pointer, but watched my father growing up (who is meticulous about gun care) have multiple hang-ups with his gun.
Benelli Nova is a "clunky" and awkward gun, but is very dependable.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline Sungrazer

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2022, 09:15:07 AM »
Great thread! As I’ve been patterning my Dad’s 870 Wingmaster trap gun, fixed full, 30” barrel. Installed a Williams slugger sight and determined the old girl likes Federal premium copper plated #6 the best. 30 yards will be my max. I’m dedicating my first tag this season to Dad’s old gun, although he never Turkey hunted I think he would have enjoyed it as much as I do. They just don’t make them like that anymore. Crazy money these days, but at some point I will own a clean, older 28ga Wingmaster. And a 20 would be sweet as well…

Offline RHuff

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »
Currently own 4 870s. 28 Gauge Wing Master that I bought for myself as a gift about ten years ago. 20 gauge Wing Master Magnum with 28 inch barrel and a fixed full choke that I paid $250 dollars for at an auction that is in excellent shape. 12 Gauge 870 riot gun that when my department went away from shotguns they allowed us to by the gun we carried. And a new old stock 20 gauge 870 Express that I recently got from an estate that was in the original box with the hang tag and receipt from 2009. The 20 gauge express will be my turkey gun on Wednesday when our season finally comes in. I agree the Wing Masters are really nice but as for functionality I like the express especially when I know Will be beating through thick brush rabbit hunting. If I am hunting over dogs for rabbit the 28 Gauge is my gun of choice.

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2022, 10:56:34 AM »
Quote from: Turkeytider  =topic=83616.msg979551#msg979551 date=1592235916
Have two 870s, one is my turkey gun, an`05 vintage Super Mag Special Purpose 12 gauge, thumbhole stock , MO obsession with a red dot. The thing is a tank and a turkey killer. The other is a 2015 Express I got for $250 on Gunbroker. Got it for a backup and "rain gun" . Has aftermarket camo stocks. Both guns have been absolutely flawless.

05 isn't "vintage"   :TooFunny:  :TooFunny:

My oldest 870 was purchased in 1958 by my Uncle and the action is smooth as silk.
I have 4 others.  Hunting with an 870 is nothing to be ashamed of.  Solid platform and a great turkey hammer.  I also agree with "Wingmasters" being MUCH better than the Express models but haven't handled one since they went bankrupt.

Offline Notsoyoungturk

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
    • Reel South Outfitters
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2023, 09:17:59 PM »
I have had multiple 870s over the years.  They have killed ducks, quail, dove, rabbits, squirrels, etc.   The older Wingmaster models were like the timex.  They took a licking and kept on ticking.  It didn't take much love to keep them working.  I currently have one of the 870 Express Turkeys with the thumb hole stock and red dot that I use as a backup gun.  Definitely not the quality gun of the older Wingmaster.  Parts are cheaper and action not as tight.  That said, I fires everytime, patterns well and hits where it is aimed.  I do wish it was a little lighter.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear