OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870  (Read 13212 times)

Offline Tadpole_Terry

Re: Remington 870
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2020, 11:11:21 PM »
Obvious to see why this is one of the most sought after and sold shotguns on the market. For the price, especially the older models, you can’t beat the quality of this pump shotgun. Love mine

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 09:58:20 AM »
Never had a problem with the old 870 or the new ones, it's all about taking care of them .. cleaning and oiling them and they will last lifetime.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 12:47:34 AM »
Got an 870 super mag, wood stock and just a bead. Close to 2k waterfowl, 50+ turkey, bunch of predators. Lost it in a creek when the canoe flipped, bought magnet and fished it out a week later. Thumped a bunch of winged upland birds off the stock and completed my grand slam with it.

Offline TeeGee

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 09:05:41 PM »
I just started hunting - first time ever - with a 20 gauge 870 express, the package with the rifled barrel.  I figured one gun for everything.  I've already learned one great thing about having a cheap gun - when it gets dinged up from my treks through the woods, I don't mind so much!   (A bit, but not so much.)

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »
Have two 870s, one is my turkey gun, an`05 vintage Super Mag Special Purpose 12 gauge, thumbhole stock , MO obsession with a red dot. The thing is a tank and a turkey killer. The other is a 2015 Express I got for $250 on Gunbroker. Got it for a backup and "rain gun" . Has aftermarket camo stocks. Both guns have been absolutely flawless.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 12:06:34 PM »
My 12 gauge 870 with an H.S. Strutt Undertaker choke has taken many gobblers. By replacing this choke with a screw-in rifled choke, I use molded Slugs-R-Us sabots to shoot a cloverleaf pattern at 50 yards for whitetail deer without having to touch the red dot. The 870 is almost over kill for small game, so I go to a .22 or .410 double barrel for these.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2020, 09:29:43 AM »
From my own personal experience owning several 870's, they are generally a good, reliable shotgun.  Having said that, ANY brand of shotgun I own is judged first by if it shoots where I aim it.  Using the factory sights, I expect the gun to hit the center of the target if I am aiming at the center of the target.  Unfortunately, the last 870 I got (about ten years ago),...a gun that I intended to be my "ultimate" turkey hunting weapon,...shoots so far off-center that, after messing with it for a couple of years, I finally shelved it and haven't used it since.  One of my hunting buddies has one just like it sitting on the shelf, as well.  (One might ask themselves why we did not take the guns back and trade them for another one at the time, but that solution was apparently too obvious for either one of us...  :) )

Both of us now shoot 835's, not because they are pretty,...or expensive,...and the actions are a bit stiff, as are the safeties,...but when we aim at a turkey's head and pull the trigger that turkey is going to die.  Now, I am not trying to sell the Mossberg over the Remington,...or any other brand,...just pointing out that point of aim/point of impact is a really important consideration when buying any shotgun for turkey hunting IF you are set on shooting "beads" rather than some other type of sight. 

I don't care how smooth the action works,...or how pretty the gun is,...give me a shotgun that will center the pattern on a turkeys head when I aim down the barrel and pull the trigger,...and I will use that shotgun over any other gun,...no matter how fancy or what the cost,... that does not.  I guess I am just a "utilitarian" kind of guy rather than a "fashion show" kind of guy.  :)

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
I bought an 870 in 1970 and used the 30" full choke initially. Then I sent the 20" slug barrel to Briley and had it threaded for their screw in chokes. Good turkey gun. Since then I've bought a couple Mossbergs for turkeys...which I use. However, my 870 remains a viable backup if ever needed. Excellent quality gun.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2020, 06:42:53 PM »
My experience with Remington guns started with an 1100 back in 1983 that I used primarily to duck hunt with in Louisiana. All the way up until now with two 870s ( Super Mag Special Purpose Turkey from `05 and an Express made in `15 ) and a V3 walnut semi-auto. None of them have EVER failed to load, fire , or eject. Not...once. Have to say, though, that I clean my guns after every shooting session, range or field. I`ve never judged the quality of a gun by how many thousands of rounds it can go through before it gags on its own filth. I am an unabashed Remington fan, therefore. They`ve yet to give me a reason not to be.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 06:32:29 PM »
This is my ole school that has some mods...

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 02:37:48 PM »
Until you have a shotgun with Wingmaster stamped on the reciever you will not know what the 870 was meant to be. The Express models will suffice ...but so will a ugly fat women.
ha ha.ive never had a winemaker,  but I agree, express models are low bagger. I've used 10 different guns in 30 years.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »
Until you have a shotgun with Wingmaster stamped on the reciever you will not know what the 870 was meant to be. The Express models will suffice ...but so will a ugly fat women.

Who you gonna go to battle with?  An ugly fat woman or a fashion model?  Wingmasters for the wealthy upland bird gentlemen.  870 Express models for those of us who get down and dirty in the bush!   :TooFunny:
lol

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 05:29:25 PM »
I have several 870’s from about every decade starting in the 60’s, including a 69 wingmaster that was a welcome home gift I bought for myself.  I have wingmasters from recent production that are the equal of that old wingmaster, with some changes I don’t care for, but are nonetheless as capable and as well made.  I also have expresses.  They have all served their purpose very well.  Some are pretty, some are ugly....they all function perfectly.  Sure Remington has stumbled over the years and there are bound to be some duds after producing 11 million or so guns, but we shouldn’t condemn them for the few that have been bad, and most certainly we should not give in to internet hype that does nothing more than feed into the potential ruin of a USA gun manufacturer.

High PlainsDrifter, thank you for your post, it’s good to see you are enjoying that shotgun and sharing a positive experience.  I too have some guns that friends and family have willed to me and they are some of the treasures of my life.
  I've always felt my friend with me, when I use his gun.He had this awesome black lab.I would have taken that dog, but he gave her to his sister.Ive rubbed out 6 gobblers with it so far.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
I have a 12 Ga. 870 and it is about as good as they get for the price. I call it the Howitzer because it weighs as much as a cannon, but can easily shoot 40 yards without hesitation and I can switch it up for upland birds and fowl if needed.
  I got one at 50 yards last year. I also use a model 97 Winchester 16 guage, 30 inch full.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »
I can reach out to 60 yards if I care to.As I've become a skilled hunter, most of my shots are under 15. I've only missed once in 30 years.