OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Boss Hen  (Read 720 times)

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Boss Hen
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:51:41 PM »
You know we talk about how we have just about seen it all with turkeys. Last year while hunting and calling i had 2 younger looking hens come out of the woods from one direction and as i was messing with these hens and calling to them and getting them excited, i had what i would call a BOSS HEN come from a different direction up a field road and she was screaming ever step until she came into contact with the younger hens and she manage to convinced those 2 hens to leave with her in a different direction..Pretty amazing see all of this take place ... I would say the younger hens were 2 years old ...  Has anyone else had these kinds of encounters?

Online ScottTaulbee

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Boss Hen
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 02:36:51 PM »
Last season I had my daughter out on youth weekend and had a hen come in kee keeing and yelping. I let her walk away and called her back several times hoping to drum up a gobbler but never did. First time in the spring I’ve ever called up a hen that was kee keeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 02:58:48 PM by ScottTaulbee »

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Boss Hen
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 03:59:37 PM »
The "Boss Hen" Alpha hen rules everything! and yes, a pecking order within the hen "flock". I have had her do everything from helping me to kill a gobbler to taking him away with her.

I have 2 DSD's that body positions infuriate some hens so much that they come in looking for a fight with her, my "Upright" and my NEW "Posturing" Hen just seem to be the perfect set for this, and will lay the beat down on them, pecking, fighting purrs, cutting and just carrying on, even have had them "angry fight strut" around them.

A vocal Boss Hen is a draw for a gobbler too! I keep up with her calling and add into whatever she is doing, I cut her off whenever she's calling and won't let up on her.

MK M GOBL

Offline cnette01

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »
I was hunting a field on public land last season and had 2 decoys out, a hen and a jake.  A hen came into the setup, brushed up against my hen decoy a couple of times while talking trash, and then commenced to beat the snot out of my decoy.  That's the only time I've seen that happen, but it was fun to watch!

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt and you were out assemblied yelped Gregg.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 07:23:37 PM »
I’ve managed to pull a few gobblers by picking a fight with the boss lady. Working those old hens is a great tactic in the fall too. That flock will go where she goes. A lot of times I’ll just mimic the exact calls/cadence she’s making and that really seems to tick them off.

Offline snoman4

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 05:56:21 PM »
Most of the gobblers I have killed after 9 AM until legal time ends have been by fighting a boss hen.  I get her mad, and she either brings in her in tow boyfriend, Tom, or our fight draws in a curious, Tom, looking for a friends with benefits date. 

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 06:11:25 PM by snoman4 »