OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Face Mask for Mouth Call

Started by Turkeytider, May 14, 2018, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytider

Guys, I know there`s another face mask thread, so my apologies, but what mask is best for use with a mouth call specifically? Any full face that will work? Do you have to have a mouth hole ? Thanks.

kjnengr

Truthfully, I have always worried about this a little more than I should have.  The problem was I never really used mouth calls that much and I was overthinking the situation.  This year, I switch almost exclusively to mouth calls and never had a problem.  I think you'll be ok no matter what facemask you use. 

I use two facemasks - a light mesh one for warmer weather and a 3/4 spandex type for if it's not so hot.

howl

3/4 routed over the tip of your nose so mouth and lips are unimpeded

or just grow a beard and don't call when they are in view  :icon_thumright:

Turkeytider

Thanks guys. The one I used this season sort of hugged the area around my mouth to the point where it was constricting. Needless to say, it got pretty wet. The mask was full face, maybe I need a 3/4. Since I wear a camo boonie with a pretty wide brim, may not need a full face anyway.

Marc

I like the head-net masks with no hole for the mouth...

The netting fits loosely and does not distort the sound (like tighter fitting polyester materials).  I also feel it helps hide the mouth movement when you are calling at a close (real close) bird, and it gives some protection from bugs (especially ants which the thermacell does not seem to work on).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

10gaugemag

Carbo Mask face paint. Washes off very easily w plain water.

I got away from masks a few years back. Never wore one bowhunting so I figured may as well wear pain t all of the time so I don't have to keep masks on hand.

Paint my hands as well, no gloves to worry about dropping and losing.

Double B

Face paint and camo bandana is what ive gone to.
Followed by buzzards

JonD.

Something I've used a lot is a piece of the screen type blind material cut into a about a 18 X 18" or so square and then just draped over my head with a cap on top of that. Great against bugs too.
And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. Acts 16:30-31

Jrkimbrough

My Under armour mesh facemash with drawstring is by far the best facemash I've owned.  You can adjust tension so it doesn't ride up over your eyes and it's long enough and loose enough to easy put in or take out your mouth call.

Chris O

I have a primos mask with mouth hole cut out and like it for trumpets and wingbones

EZ

3/4 mesh mask with wire to mold over your nose and around your eyes. Just slip your hand under the mesh to pop in a mouth call. Also easy to slip my wingbones and Jordans and trumpets under the loose mesh. I've used this same headnet forever.

bobk

I tuck a piece of camo mesh under my hat. It hangs down to the bottom of my neck. I slip a trumpet or mouth call beneath the mesh. This set up has worked for me for many years.
Also at times I use carbo mask.

waysouth

I like this one, Knight & Hale Turkey Hunting Half Face Mask.  It's nice to rest it around my neck and just pull it up when I need to have cover.  It holds pretty good, I have a big head and it fits, so that was half my battle.

Sir-diealot

I have a few I am trying to trade, if you want to check them out here is the link. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,88462.msg859909.html#msg859909
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."