OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How to hunt a new farm  (Read 1918 times)

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
How to hunt a new farm
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
I found a great farm the other day, and I'm going to hunt it soon.Any comments on how to hunt ground that you have never hunted before? Stay up high on the ridges, or low on the creek? It has grain fields, water, great farm.

Offline spaightlabs

• Longbeard
Re: How to hunt a new farm
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
Scout it one day and hunt where the birds want to be on day 2.

Birds here are coming out of the river bottoms and heading to the fields and hanging out from I'd morning til mid afternoon.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:45 PM »
Roost em' in the evening if you can...

Somewhere I have never hunted, I go for the high ground (early enough not to incidently bust birds from the roost) to get a better eye and "ear" for the situation...  I would go in light and mobile the first hunt, and plan on moving to gobbling birds.

Plan on the first hunt being more of a scouting trip...  I tend to be a lot less aggressive on birds the first time I hunt somewhere and let them do their thing, as to create as little disturbance as possible...  Then set up on them the next day in a better situation.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 11:10:55 PM »
Roost em' in the evening if you can...

Somewhere I have never hunted, I go for the high ground (early enough not to incidently bust birds from the roost) to get a better eye and "ear" for the situation...  I would go in light and mobile the first hunt, and plan on moving to gobbling birds.

Plan on the first hunt being more of a scouting trip...  I tend to be a lot less aggressive on birds the first time I hunt somewhere and let them do their thing, as to create as little disturbance as possible...  Then set up on them the next day in a better situation. Thanks for the advice.I only have one day to hunt it.I was surprised to get permission, and I don't want to ask for more, this season.It has a great creek, and hardwoods in the creek drainage.The farmer told me generally where he saw the herd several days ago, and they were on the creek in the morning.I think it's two full sections, and it's great habitat.I think staying on the ridge, above the creek may work.I wish I could scout it for a day, but this is an older farmer, and if they don't know you, you have to go slowly.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:47 PM »
First, I would talk with the farmer and see where he has been seeing them and when. They can be a great resource

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »
I'd probably go hunting and see what happens.  Keep a close eye on things and don't start out aggressive.  Killed a lot of turkeys on fresh farms.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 02:18:16 AM »
One day to hunt, things change...  I would certainly get a bit more aggressive on the birds...

But more importantly, purchase a nice gift (bottle of wine, gift certificate for local restaurant, etc...).  And WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER...  Hand written.

Let the owner know how much the hunt meant, and how much you appreciated it, and most likely you will be invited for another hunt...

And, if you kill a bird, offer part of, or the whole  bird to the owner (dressed out and cleaned)....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
One day to hunt, things change...  I would certainly get a bit more aggressive on the birds...

But more importantly, purchase a nice gift (bottle of wine, gift certificate for local restaurant, etc...).  And WRITE A THANK YOU LETTER...  Hand written.

Let the owner know how much the hunt meant, and how much you appreciated it, and most likely you will be invited for another hunt...

And, if you kill a bird, offer part of, or the whole  bird to the owner (dressed out and cleaned)....
o yeah- I'll get some gift, and write a note.I was surprised that this guy said yes.I hunt by myself, that's the main reason.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »
First, I would talk with the farmer and see where he has been seeing them and when. They can be a great resource

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
.                    Good point.This guy told me where they were, but I don't know the ground, so getting down there in the dark will be difficult.

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 08:22:01 PM »
I'd probably go hunting and see what happens.  Keep a close eye on things and don't start out aggressive.  Killed a lot of turkeys on fresh farms.
.                       That's what I did, and I got a nice bird.However, I did not call him in.He was with a hen, up on a flat, above a steep hill.He would not leave that hen, and he was strutting up on top, and looking for me. I took a chance, and put a sneak on him, and luckily, he was close to the edge, and I got him.Took 3 rounds to bring him down.Big, healthy  bird. I was stoked, but I didn't bring him in, so that was a bummer.

Offline outdoorsmen

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 09:15:14 AM »
Yeah it always kinda disappointing when you dont get the show but a win is still a win. Congrats

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 11:48:51 PM »
Thank you.I hated to sneak up on him, but I was pretty sure he wouldn't come down.He would have moved out in the field, so I made the right move, even though there wasn't any honor in it.