OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Save Your Wingbones

Started by EZ, May 13, 2018, 11:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

To all you turkey slayers out there (and all your turkey killing friends), save the wingbones from your kill. The three bones in the wing are easy to cut out and don't take up much room in the freezer. You may want to try your hand at building your own call, you may want to have a call built or you may know someone who makes calls that could really use the natural material.

All bones are fine, but hens are scarcer. It also add a little history to your call, should you want to have one made out of the bones from a bird you or a relative killed.

Just something to keep in mind!!!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Tony have you ever used domestic (Butterball) bones?  It seems like a dumb question but for someone just playing around and learning.  A buddy asked me and I really didn't know the answer. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

jryser

Butterball are completely different as those birds are basically bred for meat. Very brittle and not like wild turkeys at all. At least not the ones I've seen.

That's one I made with hen wings. Actually killed a great triple bearded bird using that call!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I made 2 this year from a bird i killed for kicks and giggles. Have to say while they aren't lookers they don't sound to bad. I did kill a bird with mine and gave the other to my boy.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Will

I've made some from Canadian Geese.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Quote from: jryser on May 13, 2018, 06:48:58 PM
Butterball are completely different as those birds are basically bred for meat. Very brittle and not like wild turkeys at all. At least not the ones I've seen.

That's one I made with hen wings. Actually killed a great triple bearded bird using that call!

These Cherokee county cops would love to see you driving around with that thing in your mouth!  :icon_thumright:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

1iagobblergetter

Lol..Im sure seeing that they would think they just found a BIG fish to fry at first... :you_rock:

EZ

Quote from: jryser on May 13, 2018, 06:48:58 PM

You are right. I only use wild bird bones because they are much harder and smaller diameter.