turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Sound Advice? Suggest trumpet for beginners

Started by wchadw, May 09, 2018, 09:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wchadw

Looking for a great sounding, easy to play trumpet for a beginners. Don't want too spend too much on one if I can get the hang of it. Want something I can hunt if I get the hang of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gergg

Buy a Buice, Permar, or KP....you will pay more up front, but be able to get nearly full price out of it if you decide to sell it. They are all easy to play and sound great.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

howl

My favorite is a Mero. It is not the most expensive one I own.

You can make your own if you just want something to play with. The straw and shell ones I make are easy enough to use that little kids can yelp on them. I have pulled gobblers in with them. I prefer a good trumpet or Jordan yelper, but homemade is fun, too.

The straw goes into the shell at varying depth depending on how you want it to sound. The soda straw goes flush with the primer pocket and sets the angle of the cocktail straw. Most of the sound comes from how you play it, but the size and material of the shell does affect tone.   

https://youtu.be/Rs9hp0_Nz2k

davisd9

Mr. Billy Buice may have some on hand but if not he can get you one pretty soon.

Kenny Pedelahore is a great trumpet maker as well, but he will not have any ready until the beginning of next year most likely as he has a full time job and a family.  Very much worth the wait.

Matt Mclain is a good one.  I had to get my lip stop set but once I found the spot it just took off!  I believe he will hae stock or can get one to you quickly, but he also has a job and family.

Have heard good things about Anthony Ellis but no personal experience.

The top two are investments you can get your money back on pretty easy, the Mclain as well. Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wchadw

how would i get in touch with Billy Buice? i searched on his name in members and didn't find

gergg

Quote from: wchadw on May 09, 2018, 10:33:33 AM
how would i get in touch with Billy Buice? i searched on his name in members and didn't find

PM Sent
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

davisd9

Quote from: wchadw on May 09, 2018, 10:33:33 AM

A #4 mouthpiece is a good one to learn on. Love the 2 and 3 as well

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

Check out the "Great Little Call" thread below.

richard black

Anthony Ellis of AGE Trumpets makes a very good trumpet. They are easy to play and will not break the bank. I have taken several gobblers with them. He is a great guy to talk with and has also won many awards with his calls.

sbbow

I have 1 on order from Anthony. Looking forward to getting it.

Red vyper

Likewise I have a T6 on order also try Darryl Slanton I think he's on here def on Facebook
I have one of trumpets and it's very easy to play and was resenonbly inexpensive
Good luck

KentuckyHeadhunter

Another vote for Anthony Ellis. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Sixes

I just recently picked up two AGE (Anthony Ellis) trumpets on this board and both are easy to run and sound great. Billy Buice is the true master, but they are more expensive, but as mentioned above, you would not lose money if you decide to sell one of his. Matt McClain makes a good one and you can pick up a deal at MacksPW  on his walnut trumpet as they are being cleared out. Lots of good makers, mostly depends on what you want to spend and how fast you want to get it.

https://www.mackspw.com/Matt-McClain-Walnut-Trumpet-Turkey-Call

model94

I purchased my first Trumpet from Brain Mero. The price was very reasonable,  the workmanship was awesome and it is easy to play. In addition,  his customer service was excellent  and I got his call within a week.
Very glad I purchased his call!!