OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Easy to learn  (Read 1677 times)

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
Easy to learn
« on: May 08, 2018, 11:02:04 PM »
I will admit, I am terrible with a mouth call. I’m interested in trying a trumpet or wing bone. Is there any hope? Which is easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 55dougie

• Doug Korn's Workshop - maker Trumpet and Crow calls
Re: Easy to learn
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »
About the same.....
Doug. ~ a.k.a. 55dougie

Please check out my web site at: http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop

Offline Goodtimekiller

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:20:58 PM »
I will admit, I am terrible with a mouth call. I’m interested in trying a trumpet or wing bone. Is there any hope? Which is easier?

You can do it, just spend your time with it and you wont regret a second of it.

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 07:27:10 AM »
How easy to learn the trumpet is depends on the person.  Buy one that has the reputation of being easier to play, if you just want to spend $50 to try it then the learning curve could be much steeper for you.  That does not mean you have to drop $250-300 on one, but do not buy one just cause it is cheap to try.  Also buying one from certain makers will make selling it without losing money possible if it is not for you.  Good luck!
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:21:20 AM »
Try a Jake wingbone, I found it easiest to learn on. 
Followed by buzzards

Offline richard black

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »
Trying to learn is not that difficult but does take practice to become proficient. Ralph Permar has an excellent video on how to play a trumpet and recommend you watch it. They are very effective but be careful, they can become addictive.

Online Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
If you buy one and don't like it, you shouldn't lose any or very little of your money.

Buy a mouth call and I'm pretty sure, no one will buy it used ;D

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 05:26:21 PM »
There are no short cuts when learning to use air operated calls. You will need to practice a lot , unless you are naturally gifted.. One thing for sure, Trumpet calls are an effective weapon in a person's hunting arsenal.. 

Get a good quality call, put it in your vehicle or by your chair at home and practice for a few minutes a day - year round.  It will take some confidence in your ability to hunt with one, but turkeys are forgiving of a bad note or two. Just keep pluggin along.

There have been some great callmakers mentioned already, so I won't add to the list.  The search function here is an asset.. Good luck.  I have called in a fairly high stack of Gobblers with a trumpet that didn't respond to anything else.
Royal Slam 2008