OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Any Winchester SX3 owners??  (Read 7523 times)

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
Any Winchester SX3 owners??
« on: May 08, 2018, 09:38:15 PM »
Looking at the SX 3 Winchester 20 gauge. Probably pick up a 28" camo model.

Anybody here shooting one? If so what choke and load are you using.

Not opposed to lead but was thinking something along the lines of Hevi 13 #7s.

Any advice?

Offline outdoorsmen

Re: Any Winchester SX3 owners??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:38:32 PM »
I almost bought one in black based on the way the wood gun felt. But they fit way different so i didnt get it. Instead i got the browning silver, which is really the same gun as the winchester.  I dont turkey hunt with it but i put a browning gold slug barrel on it and its a nice deer gun. All in max4 camo. I do habe indian creek tube for it just never shot it.

Offline TomRC

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 07:46:43 PM »
I've owned 12 and 20 gauge SX3's and my advice would be to just buy the gun. The 20 is a little heavy compared to most 20's but it will do anything you need and IMO there is not a better shotgun on the market in terms of reliability, soft shooting etc. SX3's are one of the few shotguns that its nearly impossible to find negative review on.......they are that good and then some. Most of my patterning for turkeys has been with the 12 gauge SX3 so I can't help you but just buy the 20 gauge and figure out the choke later since the season is about over. Put some #9 TSS down its pipe and with a good choke you will have a long range turkey killing machine. I actually had the 28" 20 gauge waterfowl in max5 camo and LIKE A FOOL sold it. A lot of guys will advise against a longer barrel but I actually like the longer sight radius to make accurate shots at longer distances. 

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 10:44:56 PM »
I've owned 12 and 20 gauge SX3's and my advice would be to just buy the gun. The 20 is a little heavy compared to most 20's but it will do anything you need and IMO there is not a better shotgun on the market in terms of reliability, soft shooting etc. SX3's are one of the few shotguns that its nearly impossible to find negative review on.......they are that good and then some. Most of my patterning for turkeys has been with the 12 gauge SX3 so I can't help you but just buy the 20 gauge and figure out the choke later since the season is about over. Put some #9 TSS down its pipe and with a good choke you will have a long range turkey killing machine. I actually had the 28" 20 gauge waterfowl in max5 camo and LIKE A FOOL sold it. A lot of guys will advise against a longer barrel but I actually like the longer sight radius to make accurate shots at longer distances.
Probably going to get one ordered by the weekend. Called a buddy about price and availability today.

Season is over here but was asking now vs. start a different thread. Prefer a 28" barrel myself. Grew up shooting a 30" and shoot a BPS 10 gauge with a 26" and extended tube that is nearly as long as most 12s with a 28" barrel.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
Got a Swarm coming from Clark and got back w my buddy today to confirm. He will probably order on Tuesday.

Ready to start w this one now and be ready for our fall season.

Offline turkeykiller22

• Grounded Brand
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
I bought a sx3 20ga this season and shot every bird with it. I got the 28inch barrel as well. It is a GREAT gun. I paired it with a Jebs .565 and Nitro Ammo TSS straight 9s. At 40yards I am getting 391 pellets in a 10 inch circle.I tired the indian creek .555 out of mine and it shot good but the Jebs pattern was more consistent so I chose it. You cannot go wrong with that gun. I also put the Williams fire sights on mine and would recommend those as well. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:13:21 PM »
I bought a sx3 20ga this season and shot every bird with it. I got the 28inch barrel as well. It is a GREAT gun. I paired it with a Jebs .565 and Nitro Ammo TSS straight 9s. At 40yards I am getting 391 pellets in a 10 inch circle.I tired the indian creek .555 out of mine and it shot good but the Jebs pattern was more consistent so I chose it. You cannot go wrong with that gun. I also put the Williams fire sights on mine and would recommend those as well. 

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Ordered one from Buds last night, 28" barrel MOBL gun. Planned on Williams sights as I had those on a Gold of mine, like them real well.

Ordered a Swarm .555 from Clark. Have a message to  about some TSS but am also thinking of trying some Hevi #6 or #7s.

Offline Cluckncrazy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 08:58:50 AM »
I bought the 24 inch barreled version this year, mostly for my nephew to use but once I handled it and shot it I ended up loving it and hunted with it several times this year. Didn't get to shoot one with it this year but with a Carlsons Longbeard XR choke and XR #6 shot it shoots very well out to 40 yards. I didn't count pellets but the turkey head on the target was peppered. I bought a Hevi-shot choke tube for it and will try them out when I get a chance. I really like that little gun!

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:17:16 PM »
Should have mine tomorrow. Have some Hevi-13 #6 on the way and a Swarm choke in the drawer ready for action.

Hate to think I may not need my 10 or 12 gauge anymore.

Also have 3# of TSS on the way.

Offline Cluckncrazy

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 02:52:31 PM »
I know what you mean about not needing your other shotguns, I love my 835 Mossberg but it is nice carrying a gun that is much lighter and has the ability to take a gobbler at the ranges I would shoot. I'll have to make a determined effort not to abandon the 835 next spring. Hope you like yours and it's a good shooter for you.

Offline Cluckncrazy

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 03:09:03 PM »
To the OP, I mistook the Winchester SX3 for the pump action SXP, my mistake. I own the SXP and love it, hope yours is a good shooter too,

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 09:08:48 PM »
To the OP, I mistook the Winchester SX3 for the pump action SXP, my mistake. I own the SXP and love it, hope yours is a good shooter too,

Doesn't the SXP take Inv+ chokes as well?

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »

Doesn't the SXP take Inv+ chokes as well?
Yes

Offline kwild835

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
I would try a .585 Carlson's choke with TSS.
My 26" barrel did 320/210ish, pic of one of the patterns.

Offline 10gaugemag

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »
I would try a .585 Carlson's choke with TSS.
My 26" barrel did 320/210ish, pic of one of the patterns.
I have 3# of #9 TSS on the way from Hal.