OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

You ever have a call seem like it just died?

Started by ShootingABN!, May 06, 2018, 04:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingABN!

I've had a friction call for 17 years and it seems like the tone of the call went south?

So....... Do friction calls just die?

What say you?

wchadw

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 06, 2018, 04:27:41 PM
I've had a friction call for 17 years and it seems like the tone of the call went south?

So....... Do friction calls just die?

What say you?
I have a lynch jet slate that the tone is off from 20+ years of sanding. Think the slate is almost worn too thin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I had one of my favorites do the same thing...I called the callmaker I bought it from offering to pay if he could fix it. I sent the call/striker everything and it came back good as new..No charge if I remember right..
He said he could fix it once maybe twice and that would be it. I think he pulled the glass out and something had came unglued. Good luck...

ShootingABN!

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 06, 2018, 04:40:07 PM
I had one of my favorites do the same thing...I called the callmaker I bought it from offering to pay if he could fix it. I sent the call/striker everything and it came back good as new..No charge if I remember right..
He said he could fix it once maybe twice and that would be it. I think he pulled the glass out and something had came unglued. Good luck...

She means alot to me. She talked sweet and nasty to some birds that gave up the ghost... LOL I might contact the manufactor.

Anyone else?

3bailey3

Yes I brought a call from a local call maker that was made from copper, wasn't looking for a new call but I loved how raspy it was so I got it, my first time out with it had no rasp but sounded clean, still good, now the sound is completely gone very squeaky, sounds nothing like a turkey!

yelpy

Yep it happens. Sometimes it's the glue other times the wood. Moisture or high temps can ruin a great call.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

MickT

Yes, when the soundboard got loose but still enough glue to hold it in place. Also had a few strikers die over the years. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!

Thanks everyone. Thought I was loosing me marbles....  ;)

Tom Foolery

I have an old Cody that I killed my first bird with that one day just sounded like total crap.  I guess something worked loose.  It just sits on the shelf now. 

Double B

Decals under glass or the adhesive can let loose too. 
Followed by buzzards

owego

Your adhesive came loose! Here is a link for a call that will not happen to. Lifetime Guaranteed. Like I say Custom Calls Hunters Swear By ...Not At.      http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/wet-one-double-glass/

Bowguy

Quote from: ShootingABN! on May 06, 2018, 04:49:50 PM
Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on May 06, 2018, 04:40:07 PM

She means alot to me. She talked sweet and nasty to some birds that gave up the ghost... LOL I might contact the manufactor.

Anyone else?
You said manufacturer? If it's a store bought call and older they won't honor it as a maker might I don't think. Than again the price point would be dif too

ShootingABN!

Quote from: owego on May 07, 2018, 08:47:31 AM
Your adhesive came loose! Here is a link for a call that will not happen to. Lifetime Guaranteed. Like I say Custom Calls Hunters Swear By ...Not At.      http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/wet-one-double-glass/

Thanks for the link.

pauld

Here's the thing. To answer the question, yes. Adhesives over time can let go due to a number of reasons, Heat, humidity, a bad batch of adhesive, several things can cause it. Also, the pot can warp from the same things: heat, moisture, extreme cold. It is fixable? Absolutely! Can ANY callmaker HONESTLY say it'll never happen to their calls? NO!! Absolutely not! Once the call leaves the shop nobody knows what conditions that call will be exposed too or if the manufacturer of the adhesive didn't get a bad lot that's going to decomp within 2-4 years. Too many variables, BUT a good callmaker will make it right and fix it. I've only had a couple issues with adhesives failing and they were actually immediately noticeable during the curing process. I have had people leave calls on the dash of their truck or in their truck up north in the winter and the pots were damaged from it. I always repair or make right all I can but sometimes a pot just goes beyond repair.

owego

Shooting ABN---that link I gave you to Enticer Wet-One , will not come loose, will not warp & will not let you down in the woods. I have sold over 7000 of them & never got one back from the adhesives fail.